View single post by Basecat
 Posted: Fri Feb 24th, 2006 02:46 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Basecat

Mana: 

Paula,

Welcome aboard.  Somehow I do think it is a state law in PA. that all residents must visit Gettysburg at least once. :)

As for what not to miss, seeing as this is your first visit in a long time, your first stop should be at the Visitor Center.  While there, check to see if thre are any Ranger led tours going on the days you will be there.  They are highly informative, and well worth the time spent.  The driving tour of the battlefield has changed quite a bit since your last visit, and when you do the tour, I hope you allow quite some time for it.  Always tell folks that they should park their cars, get out and take a stroll over the ground, as that is the best way to see the various monuments, and soak up the atmosphere of the place.  You will also note many changes on the Battlefield as well, as the NPS has done a fine job of getting the field to look like as it did back in July of 1863.

If I can be of any help, feel free to post your questions in here, as Gettysburg is my second home, and can offer quite a lot of tips to help make your visit an even more pleasant one.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Close Window