View single post by booklover
 Posted: Sat Oct 27th, 2007 02:53 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
booklover

Mana: 

Johnny,

I also can see your point and if I had children and one was molested, I would want to kill the bastard myself. That is also why we don't allow vigilante justice in our society. I have to have enough faith in the system, which I will grant you is in many instances horribly flawed, that the punishment will be given. Of course there are those who are released who do the crime again and I would have no problem with a "three strikes and your out" type of punishment, although I wouldn't necessarily allow three strikes.

On the news today there was a story about a college girl who gave birth, allowed her baby to drown in a toilet and then threw it in a dumpster in a garbage bag. I don't think anyone would argue that she has some mental illness (even temporary) that allowed her to kill a helpless infant that she had just given birth to. So, do we kill her or put her in prison for the rest of her life because she hurt someone who could not fight back, or do we try to get her treatment to make sure it never happens again (and maybe in the process try and understand why it happened in the first place)?

I'm not enough of a psychologist to say whether it's possible to reform molesters or if some type of medical castration might reduce their drive but I also know that anyone who would commit such a violation has to suffer from some mental disturbance.

Best
Rob

Close Window