View single post by indy19th
 Posted: Tue Feb 28th, 2006 01:29 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
indy19th
$user_title

Mana: 

The museum was awesome. I don't know if I can use enough adjectives.

The Civil War in Four Minutes was a great presentation. It's hard to describe, but basically it's a digital map showing the war chronologically from beginning to end. The parts that are controlled by the Union and the Confederacy are color coded. As time progresses, you see the dates go by. When a particular date comes up, say, October 8th, 1862, it will highlight Perryville, Kentucky. As the Union grabs more land, the parts of the map they control turn to blue. Obviously, by the end of the war, the whole map is blue. (At least I think they used blue for the Union.)

"Lincoln's Eyes" was another great "show." That's probably where the previous poster heard the loud sounds of cannon fire.

When I was there, they had a temporary exhibit entitled, "Blood on the Moon." The carriage that Abe and Mary road in his last moments was on display, as were many other great historical artifacts.

There is another set of displays that follows Lincoln's life, through his death. I can't begin to describe the last scene. It includes a reproduction of Lincoln's catafalque. The room is darkened and you can hear slow, sad music playing in the background. You ALMOST feel as if you are seeing the last viewing of Abraham Lincoln in death. No one spoke a word as we walked through that room. There were a lot of squirrelly high schoolers at the museum, but none of them walked thru at the same time as me, so I don't know if they walked thru quietly or not.

If you go, plan on spending at least 3 hours there. The library side seems to be just for research.

Close Window