View single post by Albert Sailhorst
 Posted: Tue Oct 30th, 2007 04:41 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

My two cents:

Through my job, I have to "help" Sex Offenders (among other people) find work. It amazes me how much the State will bend over backwards to provide extra resources, additional "benefits" and programs to help these people, while, on the other hand, there are few, if any, special programs to help the victims find jobs, get housing (other than, perhaps, a temporary shelter) etc.

I've got one offender who served 11 years for violently (and with multiple victims) sexually assualt kids. He claims to be "cured". When he comes in, I make sure my desk is free of my photos of my wife and kid. He disgusts me.

Oh, but he served 11 years, he's paid his debt!!....Do the victims feel repaid? Are their  feelings (feelings of shame, being violated, feeling as though they didn't fight back hard enough, perhaps feeling themselves guilty) returned? Do they sleep free of horrible nightmares? Do they return to trusting certain family members? Do they stop trembling when a stranger is behind them in line at the grocery store?

The debt they have to repay is unpayable.

Close Window