View single post by Albert Sailhorst
 Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 06:12 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

My two more cents, then I'll leave the discussion to the lawyers:

The Bible, while condeming killing of another human except in battle/self-defense, also says:

Genesis 9:6

"Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man." **Supports execution for Murder

Deuteronomy 22: 25

25 “But if a man finds a betrothed young woman in the countryside, and the man forces her and lies with her, then only the man who lay with her shall die.” **Supports execution for rape (would or could this extend to those sexually abusing children?)

Romans 13:4

4”For he (the ruler or government) is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath”. **God grants governments the authority to execute.

Eccles. 8:11 (Translated from King James version)

“When a sentence against a crime isn't carried out quickly, people are encouraged to commit crimes.” **Punishment should be swift, so as to be a deterrent to crime

Since Romans 13:4 grants governemnt the right to execute, then the Death penalty is condoned by God. It is for us, the society, to elect officials who will rule and punish wisely and justly. For millenia, citizens have searched for the wise and just ruler. No matter who is on the throne or who is in office, there will be critics and opponants, so there is no truly, 100% just and wise ruler on Earth.

So, what do we do? We act accordingly in society and we expect others to act accordingly as well. As a society, we are obligated to each other to respect life, liberty, property, etc. For those who deviate from these expectations and obligations, there is a perscribed law dictating what should be done with them. In some instances fines are imposed, in other instances, prison terms served or  death visited upon the those who do not live within the laws of that society.

The debate, I suspect, will continue.

Close Window