View single post by slowtrot
 Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2007 05:00 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
slowtrot

Mana: 

ole wrote: An interesting question, JDC. One Virginian opts for his state. Another opts for his nation. One is a national idol; one is barely known outside of circles like this one. Both cast their lot with what they thought was right. One lost and has statues a momunents; the other won momentus victories and earns a footnote. Go figure.

Ole

The oath all U. S. Officers take at their commissioning is:

"I (insert name), having been appointed a (insert rank) in the U.S. Army under the conditions indicated in this document, do accept such appointment and do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter, so help me God."

I see nothing there about any state loyalty. Thomas apparently took the oath more seriously than Lee.

However, there are two caveats.

1.  Thomas married a northern girl who claimed the decision to stay with the Union was his.

Some of Thomas’ friends (Maury) thought differently

2.  Lee’s ancestral home was Arlington in Va. All his relatives were in Va. His wife was a Custis (Martha Custis married G. Washington who also lived in Va.). Hard to turn your back on that sort of heritage.

However, an oath is an oath.

Don

Close Window