View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 05:49 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

My thoughts on both men are this: Lee was overrated & Thomas underrated. Why? A lot can be gleaned from what the men thought of their commanders; the men of both generals idolized their men... the same is true of Sherman. Then again you have officers who hed their men despise them and they are idolized bny the stay behinders... Jackson stands out. I've never quite figured that out.

AS this is a thread about Thomas, and I like him anyway I'll concentrate on him.

His men idolized him, thought him the best general of the war, bar none. His enemies respected him, that in itself speaks volumes. Even the men who disliked him, both Sherman & Grant didn't think highly of him, respected his prowess as a profesional soldier.

That said Thomas only faced the CS "A" Team once and to be honest he clocked Longstreet good on that hill. How would he have fraed against Lee? We'll not know, and I despise what if's as they detract from actual research.

Sherman w/ Thomas was a good choice, he was as dependable and as stable a commander as served under Sherman. SAome would argue the most capable. And it speaks volumes that Sherman placed Thomas in command to deal w/ Hoods TN campaign. He was a good choice.

Close Window