View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 10:50 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I've put a lot of thought into the subject over the years. To me men like Lee & Johnston who resigned their commisions and did so in a way that guaranteed their actions would in no way harm the men they commanded or the country they had served were a different sort than those who conspired to surender their commands in such a way to benefit the CS, a Nation at that point that was certainly a clear & present danger to the US. IN these men I am specifically referring to those in TX. As I'm away from my references at the moment I don't know their names. The men who were surrendered were less than appreciative of what they felt was a base & cowardly betrayal. There were others but I don't recall where.

Those officers out Cali way who resigned and took ship eastward to join the CS were those I believe who resigned their commisions in good faith.

I was honorably discharged and continued on in the Reserves was honorably discharged from that and continued on in the American Legion. I do believe a man who has given his oath to protect & serve is bound by it and that oath has no end date.

I was present when a question of why the oath was administered upon each re-enlistment... the answer was that it was a reminder as to what exactly that oath was. I have accepted that and agree w/ it.

I do believe some of those who resigned did so in good faith, but certainly not all.

What should an officer do? Resign and get the hell out. Bearing arms against your own country is, IMO, treason. Yes, Wasington commited treason against England. He knew that and he knew the consequences if he failed.

Close Window