View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Mon Nov 12th, 2007 12:19 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Just saw the movie "Before the Devil Knows You Are Dead" directed by Sydney Lumet and starring Oscar winner Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Albert Finney and Oscar winner Marisa Tomei.

This is one heck of a good movie. It is so suspenseful I was quite tired by the end, because I couldn't relax. Even though you know what happened because it is shown early in the movie, flashbacks keep going back but showing a little bit more each time. There are many twists and turns to the story. There is no one of strong character to be a hero and step in to rescue the main players from themselves.

Basically, these two brothers (Hoffman and Hawke) are having money troubles, so Hoffman conceives a twisted plot to rob his own parents' jewelry store and fence the jewels. He believes insurance will pay the parents for their loss, making the robbery a "victimless" crime. Of course, everything goes horribly wrong.

The plot calls to mind "Fargo" another of my favorite "clever scheme to earn money gone wrong" movies. It also reminded me of "The Incredible Mr. Ripley", not just because Hoffman appeared in that movie too, but because of the similar story about how lies and deception drag one in deeper and deeper as unrelentingly as quicksand. 

I love movies like that that keep you interested from the first minute to the last.

Close Window