View single post by susansweet2
 Posted: Fri Mar 3rd, 2006 01:51 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
susansweet2

Mana: 

I agree with what others have said here.  On my visit to Richmond finding sites was really hard to do.  My trip to the Museum of the Confederacy became a comedy of errors as I drove around and around looking for the building first of all.  Then when I found it I think I circled in and out of the parking lot as it wasn't clear that this was also the parking lot for the Museum as well as the hospital.  I thought I was in the wrong place.  By the time I realized I could park in the structure I was so frustrated .  The visitors center at the Tredegar Iron Works does have information .  I did get a driving tour  of the surrounding battlefields there.  But that is another story.  Trying to find each of the sites in the urban sprawl was not fun for someone driving alone.  Try to read a map and pay attention to traffic.  There was that left turn across a double double line to get into the site of Beaver Dam.  Scary . 

I think I spent most of my time trying to find the Civil War related sites. But then I had trouble finding the Edgar Allan Poe house too.   
I will say I did get some maps and flyers from the State visitors center before I left California to head east.  I had written to them and requested information.  They sent a nice set of  brochures and maps .  Just would have been nice to have signs in the city to direct visitors. 

Anyone going to Richmond do not miss the Museum.  It was the highlight of the visit.  Sad that it and the White House are sooooo over shadowed.

Susan

Close Window