View single post by susansweet2
 Posted: Mon Mar 6th, 2006 01:42 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
susansweet2

Mana: 

I am it seems older than most of you.  I grew up in the 50's watching the same tv shows.  My favorite was The Rebel with Nick Adams.  I lived in Southern California .  The closest we ever got to the Civil War in the East was a trip when Iwas in 3rd grade to visit my father's cousin in Springfield.  I was crazy about Lincoln that year.  My brother on the other hand wore his kepi hat from Disneyland everywhere he went, he was two years younger.  He had a Confederate one , I had a Union one .  We always bought hats when we were at Disneyland and we went many times a year. 

My dad's cousin took us everywhere around Springfield to show me all the Lincoln sites.  He nick named my brother Beau explaining who Beauregard was to my little brother.  He loved it. 

I studied history in school but focused on English History middle ages and Renaissance. 

I retired from 30 years of teaching and decided to see some of this country.  On the first trip east I saw a sign that said Pea Ridge.  The was the start.  I have visited many battlefields in the South and East in the past few years.  

I have also discovered a Civil War site near my home in Southern California The Drum Barracks.  I now am a docent there once a week, belong to a book discussion group and am program chair of Orange Country Civil War Round Table.  I have come a long way in the past couple of years.  Still have much to learn . 

Susan  

Close Window