View single post by Texas Defender
 Posted: Sat Dec 1st, 2007 05:14 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Johan-

In the case of James M. McPherson, for example, it is easy to see why some view him as having an anti-southern bias due to his political views. In a 1999 interview, he basically said that those promoting and supporting the Museum of the Confederacy were white supremacists.

He later attempted to clarify by saying that only some of those in organizations such as the UDC and SCV have a hidden agenda of white supremacy, and they might not even be aware of it, etc.

The Museum, itself, he apparently no longer has a problem with. But, apparently, he still links racism to some of its supporters. That could well be true in some cases, as in any large group of people, but he taints all supporters of the Museum, those in the mentioned organizations or not, with his statements.

James M. McPherson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As McPherson said in his statements, people might not even be aware of the biases that they have. Perhaps he is aware of his own, or at least the possibility that they exist.

My position is that they do exist, for him as well as for everybody else. Not only is history told from a point of view, but those who read history have their own biases as well. Whether in the case of McPherson, that his possibly anti-southern bias shows up in his writings and can be detected, I cannot say.

You could assemble a panel of experts to explore that question, but it would be a meaningless exercise. You could not find such a group of people who could be totally objective.

All that you and I can do is to try to give as close as possible a consideration of what we read, and how it effects what we believe. In the end, we must decide how much credibility to give to it based on the author's point of view, as well as our own.

Close Window