View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 11:01 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

First pardon my bluntness but  Scarlet was a fictional woman.. and a cast iron bitch of a fictional woman.

I'm w/ Albert... I'm not a day past 300 years old damn it!

Years ago Eddie Murphy had a comedy sketch about modern (1980's) gangbangers and slavery.  His comments are oddly insightful.  Attitudes change rather abruptly at the first application of a cat of nine tails.

Dixie it is easy to think things were better or easier or whatever in a time period we really don't understand.  Yes I said we don't understand.  Things that the common man or woman of 1860 took for granted are wholly foreign to us today.  Things they did w/ their eyes closed we would have a very difficult time accomplishing.  At my last school visit I asked a bunch of High Schoolers how to dig a hole... something simple?  There is the easy way and the hard way and frankly I don't think any of them could tell me how a spade was used in comparison to a square shovel.  As an example my father has been digging graves by hand for most of forty years and has gone through scores of assistants over the years, including me.  He says he typically has to have a man help him 2-3 times before they start doing it right.

As to people being more moral then than today.  I have two books for you to read: Celia, A Slave and Harriet Jacobs Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl.  If you can read either of those and tell me w/ a straight face that those of the 1860's were of higher morals than today I will do a double backwards flip into the nearest snow bank.

THey weren't simpler times by any means; the average farmer or worker for that matter started well prior to sun up; say 0530 and wasn't finished w/ his work until well after dusk.  Think I'm kidding ask a farmer who remembers farming in the 1940's and many a modern farmer still maintains such a schedule.

There was considerable less time for leisure.  Being outspoken could be done, but it had consequences... some of them involving a switch and a raw backside as a result... being too outspoken could get a woman killed.

Put simply the more things change the more they stay the same.  Life was not easy in the Antebelum South; the reverse was quite true.  Now those wealthy plantation owners could afford to watch their slaves do the work, to a degree.  THere was still quite a lot of management and tasks for them to do.   Even that said they were a minority, a vocal and powerful minority but they in no way represent the average.

Close Window