View single post by susansweet
 Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2007 04:50 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
susansweet

Mana: 

Ed , thank you that is exactly what I was trying to say.  I love reading fiction as well as nonfiction .  When I was growing up I admired people like Amelia Earhart, Nelly Bly, Anne Frank, Hellen Keller, I read all about them. 

I read fiction too like GWTW but never thought of Scarlett as a role model the way I did these real life women.   Jo March was the closest I got to a fictional character being a "role model"  I always liked her character.  I even did a first person presentation of her 9th grade.  Little Women is my favorite book from Childhood.  But the woman I realized I should admire is not Jo but Louisa May Alcott the author of the book.   I was so thrilled about 6 years ago when I visited her home in Concord Ma.  Yes I bought another copy of Little Women in the Gift shop. 

I also enjoyed four years ago visiting "the dump"  Margaret Mitchells apartment building in Atlanta and the GWTW museum down the street .  yes I bought GWTW at the gift shop.  (shot I bought another copy of Grapes of Wrath at the Steinbeck Museum)

One more word about Scarlett, she just to me now seems to be the model for all those historical fiction books that are ground out every month all with same plot.  She is the role model for the female main character. 

Well back to reading about Civil War. 

Susan

Close Window