View single post by Texas Defender
 Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2007 12:36 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Johan-

Since you're clarifying some of your positions, I'll attempt to clarify mine.

It seems that we both have some respect for Alexander Stephens. To me, he was a plucky little guy who spoke his mind. It seems unlikely that he would have turned out to have been a good friend of Congressman Abraham Lincoln. The two must have made a strange sight when standing and talking to each other.

If you don't like the divorce analogy- how about one of two men in the business partnership? Barring some contractual agreement to the contrary, one or the other should be able to dissolve the partnership.

You make much of the Confederate Government calling for volunteers. But they rightly saw that they would soon be threatened with invasion. Perhaps they thought that they could deter it. But, if that was their hope, it sooned proved incorrect. When Lincoln called for volunteers, it was not to defend Philadelphia. The intention was to invade the south.

We disagree strongly on your contention that the Confederates committed treason. To me, treason is acting to overthrow one's own government or to harm its sovereign. It is a violation of allegiance to one's own state. I do not see how secession qualifies in any way. There was no attempt to destroy the U.S. Government, only to leave it. The southerners considered that they no longer were part of the United States. How can one commit treason against someone else's government?

It is quite underatandable that many Union troops viewed the Confederates as traitors. Its always easier to fight an enemy who you can demonize. Some took the view that it was a few scoundrels who somehow "tricked" the southern people into a sinister rebellion. If you also believe somehow that secession is illegal- its easier to call those attempting to leave traitors.

I certainly don't see Jefferson Davis as a saint. He was a human being and had many faults. However, I do see him as a decent man trying to do his best in a task that he cannot accomplish. Thus, to me, he is a tragic figure, and the tendency to blame him for the defeat of the Confederacy is unfair, though he did some things not helpful to the cause.

At one point, I am sure that Davis had thoughts of becoming President of the United States. But I remain convinced that he did not want to be president of the CSA. As I said previously, what he wanted was a military command.

Where we seem in total agreement is in our apparent mutual disdain for politicians in general. You might appreciate this poem.

Just A Common Soldier

I am not a follower of this LR character who you so despise. In fact, I never heard of him before coming to this board. In the case of my last link posted, I was looking for information on the Hampton Roads Conference. My judgment was of the piece itself. I believe that it was historically accurate, and it didn't matter to me what websites it might have been posted on. It could have been on the: "Farbs Strike Back" website for all I cared, as long as it was a serious look at historical facts and, of course, supported my position. ;)

Close Window