View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2007 01:57 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

The worst that can probably be said of Lee is that he enjoyed flirting.

In Elizabeth Brown Pryor's book, 'Reading the Man,' she writes: "The ladies noticed Lee, and he was definitely looking back. 'I have met them in no place, in no garb, in no situation that I did not feel my heart open to them like, like the flower to the sun,' he wrote while praising the girls of St. Louis to his buddy Jack MacKay. He became enamored of MacKay's five sisters on his first posting near their hometown of Savannah, and it was hard to tell whether he was more smitten by Eliza or Margaret or Miss Catherine, to whom he wrote such tempting little notes. Tell them, he told Jack, 'I am famishing for a sight of them. The idea alone thrusts through my heart, like the neigh of my blooded stallion.' Some have speculated that he was in love with with more than one of the MacKay girls and offered himself in marriage, but was rebuffed. He took care to reassure Mary that his interest was based solely on lighthearted friendship, however, and that being with the MacKay girls only made his heart long for her (Mary). 'Or do you suppose that because I sometimes see others, it is them I think of, even when with them,' he challenged, '& that it does not make me more lament for my hard fortune in being so far away?'

"Nonetheless, his was an expansive heart, and he rarely limited himself to just one flirtation. 'As for the daughters of Eve in this country,' Lee told Jack the year after he left Savannah, 'they are formed in the very poetry of nature and would make your lips water and your fingers tingle.' He liked to watch the young women uncover their limbs for sea bathing and was much taken by the short skirts of the Mexican girls he met during the war. He had a clear preference for brunettes, and all of his sweethearts boasted the dark eyes and hair of his wife — and mother.

'He loved to flirt. Addressing his darlings with the flatteringly possessive 'my beautiful,' he easily launched into teasing repartee. 'I wish you were here for I am all alone...' Lee wrote to 'My beautiful Tasy,' the daughter of his St. Louis colleague William Beaumont, proceeding to tell her that he had caught his son creeping into a young lady's bed. 'You must have taught him these tricks, Tasy,' he impudently concluded, 'for he never learnt them from his father.'"

Some things never change.

Last edited on Wed Dec 19th, 2007 01:57 am by PvtClewell

Close Window