View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2007 02:24 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

TD, thank you for the poem, I believe that's the first time I've ever seen the original.

A couple years ao... 2005 I think I was introduced to Mr Stephens, read a good bit about the man and came to like him to a degree. In there back of my mind I think I recall reading in that period that Stephens and Lincoln seemed to enjoy each others company. I don't think I've got any of my old notes on the subject but across all of it I was pretty convinced that had Stephens been made President instead of Davis there would have been no war and probably there would be a CS today... w/ slavery still quite intact.

Yes, w/ a business partnership where there is the wish to dissolve it there are ways to do so... and they do not involve seizing property at gunpoint or shooting at the partner. Sometimes those splits take years. And they are also not always amicable, though sometimes they are.

Could the CS have seperated from the US peacefully? I don't thinkso because I think the way they did it invited a war. It was inevitable, it was just waiting for that match to blow open the powder keg.

Look at how many US troops were in Washigton DC when Ft Sumter blew up... there are more marines on board your average Aircraft Carrier (that might be an exaggeration but not by much) A 15,000 man standing army w/ about a third in CS POW camps... the CS had made a big deal about those 100,000 men. I know as an average Sgt or Corporal in the streets of DC I might have been wondering what me and my 12 drinking buddies were going to do when those Rebs came walking down the street.

I only believe some of the Confederates commited treason and then in degrees. THe average soldier in the ranks, no. The man who sent them... I would have gladly have provided the rope for them. Then again I firmly believe a few politicians currently in office should be tried for treason or at the very least sedition. My wife and sister have accused me of being somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan.

If I had my druthers I think I might call Davis one of the worst villans of US history. From the very start of his political career I believe he had his eye on the White House. He was perfectly willing to play whichever side would gain him the most advantage. I do think he did more damage to the hopes of the CS than anything or anyone else from how he handled Ft Sumter, allowing the CS invasion of "neutral" Kentucky, his policy of guns and ammunition w/ food & clothing catch as catch can and keeping Bragg in command as long as he did. He favored his cronies, at any cost. The leader of a nation sets the tone of a nation, Davis set the tone for failure and his bitterness after the war set the tone for the Lost Cause. He was an outstanding politician w/ all the foibles that entails; I'm not certain he would have been a succesful military commander. Though to be honest I'd pay real money to know what he thought of the young Rhett's manuevering in SC. I don't think he would have approved of securing a command by challenging and then killing your CO in a duel.

Like Wheeler the more I read and learn about Davis the less I like him. Davis was no Stephens, Hampton or Lee not by a very long shot.

Close Window