View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2007 05:22 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

39th Miss. Walker wrote: Johan, you have posted this a couple of times, can you elaborate.
"A 15,000 man standing army w/ about a third in CS POW camps..."

Exactly when, where, what sources? Up to a few days before the firing on Sumter Northern agents and officers were walking the streets of Charleston.
There are conflicting reports on that... there was a reason Major Anderson felt it imperitive that he move his command to Ft Sumter.
You can also give Buchannan credit for his hands off "I don't know what to do" attitude. He was worse than worthless.   I couldn't agree more.

You also need to put some of the blame on the firing on Sumter on the Union attempting to re-enforce and re-supply Sumter, twice.
As a note men attempting to reprovision is not a invitation to be fired upon.  Firing upon them is an act of war no matter who you blame.  US flagged ships were fired upon prior to the official bombardment of Ft Sumter.

Ole answered for me.  But to elaborate, all those Regulars in TX, the Nation & Arkansas found themselves on their way to a CS POW camp the day Ft Sumter was fired upon some might argue before.  Roughly a third of the entire US Army was taken prisoner.  If you need a source for the size of the US Army in 1861 they are quite plentiful.  As a note one cav unit that could have escaped to the US and their fate in a CS POW camp could have made it but they turned around when news of an Indian attack reached them... the local CS didn't care and made certain they found themselves in a camp afterwards.  The Regulars who were on the sharp end of the spear were none to enthusiastic or impressed by the "honorable" actions of the CS in the early days of the war.  Most men had their arms & gear stripped from them along w/ their wallets.

Off hand I was using: 

Johnson, Mark W. That Body of Brave Men, Da Capo Press, 2003.

Which is an account of the Regulars in the AOC, the fate of those men is quite well recorded and easy to find reference to.

Close Window