Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

College Ball - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 10:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Roger , Roger Roger , NOTHING is more important than the World Series. NOTHING .   well some things but NOT sports wise. 

:shock::):D

Susan

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 11:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Roger

Mana: 

Susan, gotta admit during one of my visits to the States I went to see the Phillies v Chicago Cubs and had a really good night out.

Wasn't sure what was going on most of the time but a good night all the same:D 

Roger

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 11:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Roger,  I have heard that before.  I had a family from Devon that came here to work at Douglas in the late 70's .  I had the oldest in my class and then the next year the other son.  The mom loved to watch us play baseball for P.E.  One day she asked if she could have a go.  I said sure.  She took the bat and in her best cricket swing hit the ball and ran to third base of course taking the bat with her.  The kids and I were yelling wrong way all the way . 

The boys were signed up that spring for Little League but also of course played soccer .  Matter of fact the oldest went on to play professional soccer for a few years . 

susan

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 12:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Susan, that reminds me of a game of rounders at school. We must have been about 10. Well a boy hit the ball and started running with the bat and everyone was shouting drop the bat. So he he threw it behind him, you can guess the result, another casualty for the school nurse.

Roger

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 12:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Just saw that UK was fined $50,000 for allowing their fans to get on the field after the LSU-UK game. I guess my question is - how were they supposed to stop them? Barbed wire, machine guns, attack dogs? I can understand the safety concerns, but it sure beats them leaving the stadium and rioting and overturning cars as I've seen in some of our less civilized cities after a big win.

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 01:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
Roger

Mana: 

"Barbed wire, machine guns and attack dogs" That's exactly how football (soccer) hooligans are stopped from invading pitches in a lot of European countries.

On a lighter note after an internet search I now know what UK and LSU mean and there's me thinking UK stood for United Kingdom:D  I'm learning some stuff hanging around here.

Roger 

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 01:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Stick around there is so much to learn and I am sure you will teach us a thing or two . 

Susan

Oh and when they get going USC can mean the real one in South Carolina , University of South Carolina or the one here in Southern California that is the youngest University of Spoiled Children oops I mean university of Southern California     (did I type that outloud?)

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 02:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
David White

Mana: 

Javal:

Orphan stated my position on the overtime and the clock rules pretty well.  I'll only add that the NCAA basically had the pro clock rules last year and everyone hated them the fans and the coaches.  Where the Pros have taken away some of the clock management strategy, the college game still has it and we like it that way.

That Kentucky-LSU game was a thrilling conclusion that ought to suck anyone into the greatest sport in the world, college football.

Roger, Roger:

Who is this Beckham you speak of?  Is that Mr. Posh or Mr. Spice, not sure which one it is, that took a lot of money to have ankle injuries and wear a SOCCER uniform?  BTW, the UK we are talking about is not what you may think it is, it's the University of Kentucky, now run along to a UNITED KINGDOM FOOTBALL board with the other girls and let the men get back to talking REAL FOOTBALL ;) . 

Actually I ought to go with Roger to talk about my #4 Aggies upseting #1 tu in Soccer, I wish our men played as well as our women's sports, *sigh*.

Last edited on Tue Oct 16th, 2007 02:50 pm by David White

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 05:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

Oops thats right you did play S.C. earlier...well play them again by God, and whip em again lol. I wish UK had another shot at that arrogant, egotistical *mumble* *mumble* etc. etc...

I Know you won't be offended by this Roger-it pretty much sums up what seems to be the majority opinion In America:

(From King of The Hill television show, when Dad finds out his son has quit American Football to play soccer)

Dad: *sigh* I didn't want to have to tell you this Bobby, but soccer was invented by European women to pass the time while the men were off fighting.

Son: Why must you hate what you don't understand?

Dad: I don't hate you Bobby.

Son: I was talking about soccer.

Dad: Oh yes, soccer. Yes...I HATE soccer...

Well there you have it. Soccer is a symbol of national pride seeminly everywhere else in the world. Its funny, I don't think the world realizes how little America as a whole cares when we get beat at soccer. I've seen some celebrate beating us by burning American flags, and people here are just like "we have a soccer team? Since when?"

Most places are befuddled by American Football, and we are totally at a loss for what makes soccer a good sport.

Javal-I think I can speak honestly when I say I don't think a few machine guns and barbed wire would have kept UK fans off that field. They would have charged down the guns...It would have taken a defense in depth constructed by Military engineers over months of time, manned by hundreds of hardened veterans... Their is a push right now and people all over the state are sending money to UK to pay for the fine LOL

Current time is 03:27 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3560 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.