Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Darwin Award - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Sep 20th, 2007 05:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
connyankee

Mana: 

Ok, this one goes to me.  I just put a screwdriver tip through my left pinky finger and it wasn't a pretty sight. 

Before I get started, let me just say that screwdrivers were invented for one purpose and that is to drive screws through a hole.  They were not intended to be used as mini-crowbars, paint can lid removers, hub cap removers and the like.  My dad (RIP) once told me that there is a tool for every job which is a damn good rule to keep in mind.

I was installing replacement weather stripping on the bottom of my garage doors, using a screwdriver to guide the semi-hard rubber material into its groove.  In retrospect, I should have taken a better approach by perhaps using a heat gun to temporarily soften the material and using the proper tool or even hiring a profe$$ional to do the job.  All I know is that I am not real fond of the sight of blood, particularly if it's my own.  U.S Grant didn't like blood either - it made him sick. 

My biggest error, I think, was my over-confidence in previous successes with the misuse of this tool.  I'm not going to believe anyone who happens to read this that says they haven't used a screwdriver for something other than driving screws.  Shame on you.  Yet the old saying goes that "when you sart pointing your finger at someone, the other fingers in your hand are pointing at you (even little pinkys)". 

My wife, bless her heart, sometimes uses a butter knife to secure a screwhead.  I say, while buttering the toast with this funny looking "s" curve at the end of the blade, "don't you know they've invented screwdrivers for this? I have tons of screwdrivers around here and know how to use them."  Hmmm...

Nuff said, I guess.  It was my own stupid mistake.  Gotcha!  Could use a drink - maybe vodka this time - maybe a screwdriver.  Absolutely.

conn (of the) yankee :?

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2007 12:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Ouch.

Humans were born with opposable thumbs to help us get a grip on our tools. Trouble is, we also have opposable brains, which sometimes cause us to lose our grip.

I've used screwdrivers for uprooting weeds, scraping paint, as a doorjam, as a can opener and for throwing into the ground like a dart. Bob Vila must be appalled. Occasionally I'll tighten screws with them.

Hope you're OK. Were stitches involved?

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2007 12:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

I couldn't resist this one, either.

I don't know if this is a southern thing or not, but I was told if you add 'bless his/her heart' to anything bad you might say about a person, it automatically becomes a compliment.

Example: That Joe (not you, Joe) is such a jerk. He tried to fix his flat tire with a screwdriver and sliced himself to ribbons. What a blooming idiot, bless his heart.

See? It works.

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2007 06:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

It's true , you say bless your heart or her /his heart and it's all okay.

Now bless your heart I hope you are okay and no stitches were involved.  Butter knives are good for all kinds of things.  Been known to pry lids off with them even . It's scissors I have learned to use for only one thing, cutting .  When I was teaching I tried seveal times to use scissors as a lever.  Hence the one and a half blades on some of the scissors I owned the first few years I taught .  I know I didn't learn the first time. 

Susan

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2007 01:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
connyankee

Mana: 

Thanks all for your sentiments.  Just got a couple of stitches as they were able to fold the skin back over - unlike most bayonet wounds I've read about.  It's ugly and a little sore but should be fine.  Pride hurt more than anything, I reckon.

I've been fixing up the house in an effort to eventually sell it.  I think I'll take a day off.  Been meaning to go find Genl Nathaniel Lyon's gravesite and birthplace after reading the Wilson's Creek thread here.  It's out in the woods not far from where I live.  I tried this once before but was unsuccessful.  I think I've got a handle on it this time though.  It's really out in the boonies.  As most of you know, Lyon's corpse was left behind on the battlefield of Wilson's Creek/Oak Hill.  I'm not a big fan of his but the story of how his body found it's way back home is interesting - that's history.

Thanks again,

connyankee:)

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2007 01:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Be very careful about saying you are not a fan on Nthaniel on this website . He has major fans here.

Glad you are okay and only slightly wounded compared to a bayonet wound . Enjoy your search.
Susan

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2007 01:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

Ok while we are relating really foolish experiences with tools. I build reproductions of antique furniture. A friend had a skid of oak lumber he needed planed down. He offered me half the skid for planing it for him. I live in a woods. So rather than carrying all the shavings from an entire skid of lumber out of the shop I moved the planer out into the woods. Due to the volume of shavings I removed the discharge chute. As I was flipping shavings away from the chute for the 10th or 12th time my middle finger made contact with the blade. After an emergency room visit I finished the job , but used a stick to clear away the shavings. 

Now for the ACW connection. I just finished reading Shelby Footes narative of The federal break out of Chattanoga. As the CSA center gave way Phil Sheridan straddled a captured artillery peice in order to urge his men foreward.  Then Col Charles Harker (we share our surname) also straddled one that had been recently discharged which inparied his ability to ride a horse for two weeks. This will prove that Harkers historically have managed to do dumb stuff.:?

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2007 03:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

OUCH!!!!!

Posted: Sat Sep 22nd, 2007 02:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

J Harold.. Took me a minute to get why that would be a bad thing .. sitting on a recently fired cannon DUH ..
Maybe i should get an award too.

As a younger man i was putting a car stero in my truck, and didnt have any wire strippers I cut the wire i was working on with a pocket knife and put the wire between my 2 front teeth to strip it and yanked , a big chip came out of my left front tooth which was false from a earlier dumb incident.

by the way the wire stayed intact and i had to go track down those darn wire strippers and my new wife learned that he husband had a false tooth and he was an idiot.

Last edited on Sat Sep 22nd, 2007 02:23 pm by younglobo

Current time is 04:36 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3195 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 25 queries executed.