Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

6th Wisconsin - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 07:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Roger

Mana: 

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so moderator(s) please feel free to move it to an appropriate place. In my introduction I mentioned my hobby, painting miniature figures. 

I realise this isn't a figure painting forum but I believe there is a level of expertise here that will help with my research and also, hopefully, like to see my finished creations.

Here's a photo of a 100mm resin figure representing a sldier of the 6th Wisconsin c.1863. Comments and constructive criticism are welcome.

Roger

Posted: Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 08:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Looks very well done w/ superb work of shading & dry brushing.  Frankly it's better work than the last of mine before lovely arthur set into my brush hand and ended my painting days.  The only thing I can see missing is the corps badge on the hat, and  that is so minor a thing.

Sir, you have done a superb job, I think, of painting up "one of these damned black hats."

Posted: Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 08:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thank you very much Johan, sorry to hear your painting days are over.

As for his 1st Corps red disc, err, it fell off during the advance:P To be perfectly honest this was painted before I invested Troiani's Regiments & Uniforms of the Civil War and Echoes of Glory. These two books are my main sources of reference plus a couple of others.

If you or anyone else has any reccomendations and be glad to hear them.

Cheers,

Roger 

Posted: Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 09:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

You may well already have these titles, enjoyable regardless.

Barnard, George N.,  Photographic Views of Sherman’s Campaign, Dover Publications 1977.  This is a useful book for the terrain if you ever opt into the diorama.

Griffith, Paddy, Battle In the Civil War Generalship and Tactics in America 1861-65, Fieldbooks, 1986.  Another useful book if you ever opt for the diorama.

Thomas, Dean S., Cannons An Introduction to Civil War Artillery, Thomas Publications, 1994.  A good one for the cannon if you ever opt to add some arty

Coggins, Jack, Arms and Equipment of the Civil War, Bradfoot Publishing, 1962.

Todd, Frederick P., American Military Equipage 1850-1872 vol 2, Company of Military Historians, 1977.

Todd, Frederick P., American Military Equipage 1850-1872 vol 3, Company of Military Historians, 1977.  Coggins & Todds are a useful supplement to Echoes of Glory if you ever go the scratchbuild route for equipment.

Posted: Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 09:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thanks very much for those Johan. I haven't got any of those,yet! I've only heard of the Paddy Griffith's and Frederick Todd books before so a useful list.
Do the Todd books cover CSA equipment too?
Funny you should mention dio's I've been thinking of doing something with the 54mm figs by Shenandoah Miniatures.

Roger

Posted: Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 09:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Johan I don't know if you were aware and you've probably got the book already, but after a quick search I discovered the George N Barnerd book is available to view online here,

http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/hargrett/barnard/?link=zlbp

Roger

Posted: Mon Sep 24th, 2007 01:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

There are other works out there detailing the uniform, but they don't hold a candle to Troiani's work.

Miller, David, The illustrated Directory of Uniforms, Weapons, and Equipment of the Civil War,  MBI Publishing, 2001.

Smith, Robin & Field, Ron, Uniforms of the Civil War,Lyons Press, 2001.

I wouldn't pay full price for either of them... I think I did for one and it has since gone missing.

Todds books are out of print, but ironically everyone I know who has bought a set online in the last couple years had the books come out of England.  Todd's works detail state by state it was originally intended to be several more volumes but the works were never completed.  Dated but fascinating.

I did a half dozen small scale 1/72nd CW dioramas in college and three years ago I got a burr under my saddle to do a portion of the Allatoona fight.  Had it all figured out and a source for some very nice 1/35th CW figs that I thought I could modify w/out too much of a fight.  Then Arthur went so bad I couldn't hold a brush for a straight line (but my dry brushing turned into dynamite!) and it's played merry hob w/ my shooting on top of it.

I always enjoyed the diorama so much more than one figure, a 3 dimensional photograph was what I always tried to create.  Made my beer money and helped my rent quite a lot throughout college.  Sold my last one for about $300 IIRC.  Though the neighbors rejoiced when I moved away, no more threats to their hedge (best mini tree in the world, just add Oregeno for leaves) and my roomates stopped having to buy so many spices.

Posted: Mon Sep 24th, 2007 05:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thanks again for the book recommendations Johan. As if I haven't got enough books on my shopping list :P  Are you familiar with the Osprey ACW books? and how do you rate them? I find them a cheap and readily available resource and the ones I have covering WW1 are pretty accurate. just wondered which of the ACW books were worth purchasing, if any. I have the one on the Union army by Phillip Katcher.

Your dio's sound pretty cool and if you could sell them all the better. I've done a couple of 120mm commisions for a chap in New York which was quite profitable too.

I'd like to do something with maybe just 3 or 4 54mm figures, some bits of hedge and and some oregano:D not entirely sure yet. I'm just waiting for the right photo or illustration to inspire to give it a go. In the meantime I've got a couple of figures lined up for painting.

Roger  

Posted: Mon Sep 24th, 2007 12:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

I'm not a big fan of Osprey books, I have quite a few of them but have always felt they were overpriced for what you get and I've noted quite a few errors w/in them over the years. I've found Katcher to be hit or miss, his Osprey Sharpshooter volume had several errors and felt like a partially researched work that was published on a deadline.

Troiani's various works are a far better investment; there are 7-8 in total and worth the price, come to think of it the three dealing w/ Cav, Inf & Arty are comparable in price to the Osprey works.

As to the diorama... it's a bug that can catch you. It's priceless to watch someone else appreciate the work that went into it.

Posted: Mon Sep 24th, 2007 12:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Hi Johan. I've looked at the Troiani books on, iirc Infantry,Cavalry& Artillery, Militia & Volunteers and Zouaves but was worried I'd be buying a repeat of stuff that was already covered in Regiments and Uniforms. Due to my location in relation to good bookshops I buy all my books online so don't usually have a chance to look inside the books before purchasing them. Your advice and recommendations is much appreciated.

Roger

Posted: Mon Sep 24th, 2007 10:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

I too have the same apprehension towards those three( I haven't yet invested in them as explaining the $45 for the three to the better half might be hazardous to my health at the moment), but I would consider them superior to the Osprey equivelant.

I suppose it might not really be fair of me to hold such irrritation at the Osprey series, but I have noted errors repeatedly in their orks.  All minor, but annoying to a detail man like myself.  As an example their cav book fails to note the Orange trim for Dragoons or the Green for Mounted Rifles and both of theose Regiments kept that trimm until at least late 63.  Another example was the Sharpshooter book... missing prominant CS Sharpshooter units altogether and printing some pretty distinctive errors that I think would have been caught by a more knowledgeable editor.  There was also a couple glaring errors in their Iron Brigade volume but off hand I don't recall them.

Posted: Mon Sep 24th, 2007 10:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

As an aside, was working in Cumberland, Md last week and went by Antietam on the 145 anniversary. Have been there numerous times, but wanted to go to the locations where my ancestors fought and died - 9th La, 10th Ga, 15th NC, 5th NH, 2nd Wi, the unfortunate 16th Conn, etc. Thought since we were on the Iron brigade tread I'd show then/now photos of where the battery attached to the Iron Brigade fired cannister on the Louisiana Brigade.

-http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid=87378824508.843599962208.1190674400822&photoid=743599962208&folderid=0&view=1&page=1&sort_order=&albumsperpage=&navfolderid=2007

http://www.aotw.org/gallery/Antietam-1862/hagst_dead

Doc C

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2007 05:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Roger

Mana: 

:D Johan, I have the same problem with my "Director of Finances" and apprehensions aside I'll probably buy the Troiani books regardless, I just can't help myself, sound familiar anyone?

I'm waiting for Rhea's Battle of the Wilderness and Sear's Landscape Turned Red to arrive with the post, oh, and another 54mm Confederate figure so I'll wait awhile I think.

Thanks for the links Doc, however I can't see your photo's I'm just getting the EasyShare sign in page. Do I need to register to see them? The links will be useful when "Landscape..  " turns up good timing, thanks.

Roger

Current time is 01:02 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3814 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.