Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

No Bias - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Sep 24th, 2007 01:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Roger

Mana: 

Following my previous post of a Union soldier just to show I'm not biased in any way here's a 54mm white metal figure of a Confederate Infantryman:D
Again if anyone has any constructive coments to make which will help make future figures look more authentic I'd be glad to hear them.
Roger

Posted: Mon Sep 24th, 2007 10:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

My only complaint would be the figure itself, no man who's ever fired or loaded a muzzle loader by the numbers & for real would ever hold his ramrod like that... exception being if he was cleaning her. Again superb paint job, hats off to you.

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2007 05:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thank you for the kind compliment Johan and an interesting comment about the ramrod. It's something that never occured to me. Before I purchase a figure I try to do my research beforehand, one of the reasons for joining this forum, but you got me there.
Roger

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2007 04:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

OK, I have a stupid question (based on inexperience):

IF the soldier had been in an extremely "hot" fight (ie, firing more rounds than usual), the rifle would begin to foul (even IF he used the cleaning rounds after every tenth shot), so, wouldn't it become more difficult to ram rounds home, thus neccessitating holding the rammer in that fashion?....Especially if he were trying to maintain fire?

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2007 04:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Blunderbuss!!:shock: I can see what you mean though. I think we could put that down to poor photography on my behalf.

Maybe this pic will make it a bit clearer.

In fact due to the design of the model I had a heck of a job getting the ramrod to line up with the muzzle of the musket. 

The only stupid question is one the remains unasked so I look forward to hearing a response to Alberts question and I'm glad my figure has generated some debate.

Cheers,

Roger

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2007 04:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Michael C. Hardy

Mana: 

Johan:

I most respectfully disagree with the hand on the ramrod. Anyone who has already fired a rifled-musket, say twenty-times, is going to be forced to have his hand firmly on the ramrod to get that next minie to seat properly. Their weapons fouled horribly, much worse that ours today. I’ve put forty rounds through a Enfield and even with today’s cleaner black powder, it took a lot of force to get those last few minies all the way down the barrel.

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2007 04:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

On the other hand, based on Johanne's experience and knowledge, I hafta agree with him.....

I paint 15mm figures to play "Johnny Reb III" with. If this works, here's a pic of my troops and game table:

[url=file://C:\Documents and Settings\dflowers.JBLANKENSHIP01\My Documents\My Pictures]file://C:\Documents and Settings\dflowers.JBLANKENSHIP01\My Documents\My Pictures[/url]

Roger, ya did good work!! I like your paint job, especially the blanket! I'm sure it took a lot of time and care to complete!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2007 04:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thank you Albert. Unfortunately your link hasn't worked. Hopefully you can fix it, I'd like to see your figures. I've painted a few 15mm Napoleonic figures myself.

Anyone familiar with Troiani's painting The Gray Wall may recognize the blanket. I was going to chicken out but my wife insisted I paint it as you now see it.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the ramrod discussion pans out, thanks for your contribution Michael.

Roger

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2007 04:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Shoot, I'm not good with computers....I tried to cut & paste the pic of my table, but can't get it to work.....

I've got a Division of reb infantry and 5 artillery batteries painted along with 4 Brigade commanders and 2 figs. representing Divisional command (for gaming purposes, a division is 256 figures. Each battery is 2-3 figures, with 2 horse/limber figs.) This winter, I hope to get one more Reb division painted, then start on the Yanks. It sure is time time consuming. It takes me about a week to paint a 16 figure regiment! (there's 4 regiments per brigade, with an average Division size of 4 brigades)

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2007 05:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Ah HA!!.....I think I figured how to get the pics to work!....Sorry they're so small and detail is hard to see.

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2007 05:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Sorry, still no pics. Are you recreating particular Divisions or just in general?

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2007 05:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I can see the pics....wonder what's wrong?

Anyway, I just paint the figures "in general" so I can use them for the game. Although, each regiment is named, ie, "10th TN", etc. for gaming purposes. I didn't research each regiment's uniforms, though.

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2007 05:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Not sure I still can't see them. All my 15mm figs are put away in boxes now. Shame really I would love a dedicated room to put them on permament display. A big display of Infantry cavalry and artillery never fails to impress me.
What I need is a bigger house lol.

Roger

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2007 05:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

My wife is "mad" at me for building a 9' x 5' game table in the basement!

See if this pic works:

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2007 06:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

According to "Hardee's Rifle and Light Infantry Tactics" http://www.usregulars.com/hardeehome.html#school%20of%20the%20soldier

6. Ram- CARTRIDGE.

One time and one motion.

163. Insert the rammer as far as the right, and steady it in this position with the thumb of the left hand; seize the rammer at the small end with the thumb and fore-finger of the right hand, the back of the hand to the front; press the ball home, the elbows near the body.

Though the manual suggests the right thumb and forefinger (rather than holding the rammer in the fist, as the figure represents), I would suggest that, in the practicality of combat situations neccessitating speed and thus ignoring the "by the book" practice, it is possible to have rammed the minie in the fashion represented by the figure. As I suggested earlier, grasping the rammer in the fist would be more practical to ram seat a minie aftr the gun begins to foul and make it more difficult to ram with just the thumb and forefinger.

However, I am in the artillery, and my experience firing my Springfield is limited.

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2007 06:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Just bookmarked the US Regulars site for further use, thanks,

Roger

Posted: Wed Sep 26th, 2007 12:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

When live firing real minies down range a rifled arm actually fouls considerably less than w/ blanks.  THe expansion of the minie cleans a lot of the fouling out.  Part of the reason a real round has more recoil than a blank.  A properly lubed minie will drop right into the barrel and will seat all the way down w/ minimal force.  You NEVER use more than two fingers to ram home a round the reason is simple and practical, smoldering embers have a very real chance of igniting the charge and propeling the bullet and ramrod out of the offending barrel at a rather unhealthy speed.  If you need to use more than two fingers... time to drop some water down the barrel or empty the bladder, either method works.

I've fired 40 rds out of my M1841 w/out ever having to field clean her, I didn't notice any significant fouling until the last 5-6 rounds.  The Wilkinson cleaner rounds do make a difference.  It's also important to realize few men fired off more than 40 rounds non stop in battle.  THere are exceptions but they are actually quite rare.  Some US units at Gettysburg fored off an average of just 5 per man.

THe CS was using large amounts of English manufactured ammunition, CS Arsenal & captured US ammo, all of which did a splendid job of properly lubing bullets.

A smooth bore firing round ball fouls much more dramaticly and after 20 rds had best be cleaned or the next round may not seat properly.

Modern Black powder, in the form of Goex FFg, is no cleaner or more accurate than that used in the CW, Pyrodex is but not the stuff most use in live fire or re-enacting.  Many men did fashion a wooden block to help them ram home rounds, this was actually more prevelant w/ troops using smoothbores, the mini is holding a P53 rifled musket (the sling id's it) not a M1842 smoothbore.

He's cleaning his musket w/ a patch... otherwise when using the entire fist such he would quickly earn the nickname Stumpy.

Any reenactor or soldier who uses his fist thus to ram home a round... needs to be properly trained.

The minis is painted to look like a veteran... a veteran who would have been quite aware of the realities of loading his weapon in the heat of battle.

Posted: Wed Sep 26th, 2007 06:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thanks for the insight Johan. Could you tell me a little bit about the cleaning rounds? I've never heard of them before.
Thanks for id-ing the musket, I never knew that either, given where they came from thats pretty embarrassing. My word I've got a lot to learn.

Roger

Last edited on Wed Sep 26th, 2007 07:02 am by Roger

Posted: Wed Sep 26th, 2007 12:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

Just want to echo all of Johan's post. I will admit this may be a bit picky , but would a veteran Johnny tote the extra weight of a bayonet and a large fighting knife?  In my opinion the bayonette would have been lost. Once again excellent work on the painting. My wife has the talent there. I just make sawdust.

Current time is 06:33 pmPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4345 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 26 queries executed.