Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Deserters' Marauding After The War - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 11th, 2005 02:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
wkgncuz

Mana: 

I've been searching the web for any information about crimes committed by deserters after the Civil War.  I'm specifically looking for a book that details crimes committed by Confederate deserters.

I've a letter written to my mother in 1961 that states her great grandfather was left an orphan right after the war because "Confederate deserters and renegades murdered his family".  The author of this letter has died leaving no further information such as where her great grandfather lived at the time of the murders except that someone found him wandering in a woods and took him across a river into Kentucky.  Because he was raised in Ballard County, KY, I'd assume he may have been living in IL or MO, possibly TN.

Any books, articles, or websites that anyone can provide me to further this research would be most helpful.

Posted: Tue Oct 11th, 2005 02:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Great question, and I ran across some interesting articles while looking it up. Can't help you specifically, but you may want to take a look at the article here. That links for the downloadable Word Document. If you do the google search I mention below, it's about 6 items down, and there's a link to see it in html (the link's so long it won't post properly here)

As for books, you could try to find Ella Lonn's "Desertion During the Civil War".

Doing a google for "Confederate deserters" post Civil War brings up some interesting results. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited on Tue Oct 11th, 2005 02:25 pm by javal1

Posted: Tue Oct 11th, 2005 07:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
wkgncuz

Mana: 

Thank you for the link/dowload!  I read it in its entirety finding myself dumbfounded by how little I understood why and how the Civil War ended.  I, too, googled confederate deserters.  I read and read and read, mostly to no avail.  I did copy names to google further, but haven't done that yet.

I'm thinking now that perhaps my best bet is to query and read books such as Quantrill's Raiders and others like him.  Perhaps an entry in a book may give me enough information to at least search it further. 

I copied the below information from my reading to look up also:

Kirk’s Raiders, a Union Army band of guerillas famed for their ruthless killing, robbing, burning, pillaging and destroying. Kirk, originally a Confederate deserter, had a commission as a Union Colonel. His murderous band consisted of both Union regulars and Confederate deserters from East Tennessee. They were basically a regiment of common criminals employed by the Union Army to harass the civilian population of Western North Carolina.  AND: 

Gangsters of the Great Rivers Region – S. Glenn Young & the Ku Klux Klan – Charlie Birger & The Shelton Gang – Frank "Buster" Wortman – Lakeview:

Again, thank you... I'm looking forward to hearing from others!

Just thinking... maybe a google search of 'civilian post-civil war victims'!  :)

Posted: Tue Mar 7th, 2006 12:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
arooper

Mana: 

Don't know if you have it, but Jay Winik's book April 1865 goes into some detail about guerrillas after and during the war. I don't remember if he specifically mentions deserters, I think they were just your average raiders, but its interesting information anyway.

I did my thesis on substitutes, it was actually Union subs from Boston who subsituted from July 1863 to September 1863, most of whom fought at Cold Harbor, Mine Run campaign, some at Petersburg. Of course a majority of them deserted, as was the reputation, and I found a little (emphasis on little) info on some of the deserters, most of whom ended up back at home or way far away in a territory.

Posted: Tue Mar 7th, 2006 05:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
wkgncuz

Mana: 

Thank you for suggesting Winik's book.  I just ordered a used copy from amazon and am looking forward to reading it.  Your reply helped me get back on track with this search and will post my successful or unsuccessful search findings in hopes they may help someone else.  :D

Posted: Thu Mar 9th, 2006 04:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
David White

Mana: 

Go to the Official Records and look under Jones County, Ms and Avoylles Parish, LA.  There were extensive resistence to the conscriptors there by deserters who hid in local forests and actually attacked CS authorities.  Jones county actually seceded from the Confederacy, resistence to the government was so great there.

Current time is 11:30 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3198 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 26 queries executed.