Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

uniforms - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 05:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Roger-

Colonel Freemantle is by far the best known British observer of our "Civil War," but there were probably a couple of dozen others. Some were official, and others unofficial.

Perhaps the first to arrive was Major General Sir George Bell. He got to Washington by September of 1861. I haven't read any of his observations, but I would have to question his judgment. Apparently, he was an admirer of McClellan. :D

Another unofficial one was Lieutenant Colonel Henry Charles Fletcher of the Scots Guards. He observed the Peninsular Campaign before going west. Eventually, he wrote a three volume work with an extremely long title starting with: "HISTORY OF THE AMERICAN WAR...."

An official observer of the Peninsular Campaign was a Captain F. Beaumont. He even flew in one of Professor Lowe's balloons.

Mentioned previously in this thread was Lieutenant Colonel (Later Field Marshal) Sir Garnet Wolseley. He had been serving in Canada in 1861, but took leave in 1862.

He wanted to see things from the CSA side, but couldn't go directly. So, he apparently used part of the old Underground Railroad to smuggle himself across the Potomac. He got to Richmond in time to take to the field to see the Seven Days battles. He met Lee and Jackson.

Wolseley was a great admirer of Robert E. Lee. After the war, he wrote some articles about his experiences. When Mrs. Jackson's book was published, he helped sell copies of it in England.

Wolseley was obviously a very intelligent man, since he considered that the decisive factor in the war was seapower. :D

The foreign observers in general were interesting fellows. There were a number of Germans and French involved, as well as the Brits. They tended to be adventurous, and many had exciting experiences while watching the: "Recent Unpleasantness."

Last edited on Wed Oct 10th, 2007 05:30 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 05:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thanks TD. There's some interesting characters for me to read up on.

I hope your not bringing into question the judgement of a British major general and Knight?:D 

Roger

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 06:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Roger-

Actually, I am very grateful for the poor judgment of certain British generals, such as General Burgoyne and General Cornwallis.  :D

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 06:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Aaah, I wondered when that topic would be raised:D so I had a reply ready.

Did you know the AWI was a British victory? No.

It was a victory for British settlers against a cruel and unjust government and a German King. :D:D

Roger

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 06:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Roger-

I see that now not only must the Germans be blamed for two world wars in the 20th Century, but also for the AWI in the 18th.  :D

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 07:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
Roger

Mana: 

So as not to offend any Germans:P George was technically a Hanoverian.:D But they did help us defeat Napoleon at Waterloo.

However I don't have any smart answers for our setback at New Orleans so we'll not mention that:D

Apologies for going off topic slightly.

Roger

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 10:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Roger, thanks for that link it's bookmarked now. Do you happen to have any references for the Crimea you might point me towards?

Posted: Thu Oct 11th, 2007 05:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Johan, I don't have anything myself on te Crimean War but iirc the Natonal Army Museum have a book on it. The NAM book of the Zulu War is very good. I'll see what I can find and post the results.

Roger

Posted: Thu Oct 11th, 2007 10:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
igorbab

Mana: 

Cheers roger the link is just what i,m looking for  am going to concentrate on opening stages of the war in the east so any other info would be great.

Posted: Thu Oct 11th, 2007 11:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Great! I'm glad you found it useful, it'll make up for some my responsibility in taking the thread a touch off topic:D

If you want to purchase any books on uniforms of the civil war you won't go far wrong with anything by Don Troiani. His Regiments & Uniforms of the Civil War is excellent.

Trying searching http://www.abebooks.co.uk for the best price.  

Roger

Current time is 07:35 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.5791 seconds (46% database + 54% PHP). 26 queries executed.