Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

General John Smith - Help Looking for an individual - Genealogy - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Oct 8th, 2007 04:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Sarah
anachronist

Mana: 

My grandmother swears that we have in our history a Civil War general.  How exciting!  But of course it has to be a General John Smith, one of the most common names ever.  And I don't know what side he fought for, as he likely either came from Virginia or West Virginia (though really it could be any state below the Mason-Dixon).  I don't know really anything else other than his name.

It's a long shot, I know, but has anyone heard of a General John Smith?

Posted: Mon Oct 8th, 2007 04:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Sarah-

There was indeed a Union general named John Eugene Smith. He was born in Switzerland. He ended up in Illinois. He was made a brigadier general of volunteers in November of 1862. Here is a short biography of him.

http://famousamericans.net/johneugenesmith/

And here is a picture of him and his monument.

Gen John Eugene Smith (1816 - 1897) - Find A Grave Memorial

If this is not your man, there is another possibility. There was a John Corson Smith who was a lieutenant colonel in the 96th Illinois. He was made a brevet brigadier general on June 20, 1865. He might be connected somehow to the one above, being from Illinois also.

Being made a brevet general was usually a reward for faithful service. It did not bring with it the pay of a full rank general, but the officer was allowed to use the title of: "General."

Here is a picture and short bio of John Corson Smith.

John Corson Smith (1832 - 1910) - Find A Grave Memorial

He was born in Philadelphia and is 16 years younger than General John Eugene Smith above. The bio of John E. Smith indicates that when he first came to America, it was to Philadelphia. That makes me believe that the two are related in some way. They are buried in the same cemetery.

Last edited on Mon Oct 8th, 2007 05:04 am by Texas Defender

Posted: Mon Oct 8th, 2007 05:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Marie

Mana: 

Sarah,

You have my sympathy.   I too have CW ancestors named Smith, in this case a gggrandfather Daniel Smith who, to complicate matters enlisted in a series of 3 month Union regiments, coming home between enlistments.   Talk about searching for a needle in a haystack.   I finally found his pension records  :)

Regards fron NW Ohio,

Marie

Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 02:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Sarah
anachronist

Mana: 

Thank you very much, Texas Defender.  I'm unaware of any family ever living in Illinois, but I suppose anything is possible.  I'm starting to think it's more likely that the John Smith in our family wasn't really a general.  And I can't imagine ever being able to find an enlistedman named John Smith without at least a definite state.  I probably will never find out for sure.

Thanks again!  That was extremely helpful.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Mar 4th, 2011 05:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
mathbrat

Mana: 

I have been searching for the a Virginia/West Virginia John Smith line and on Findagrave.com is John Smith, Sr. b. 12 Dec 1821 Union, Monroe, West Virginia d. 25 Nov 1905 Newport, Giles, Virginia. On his grave stone is the inscription
Co.H 36th Va. Inf. Regt. CSA
I hope this was helpful.

Posted: Sat Mar 5th, 2011 11:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

My great grandfather told my dad that we had a relative in the Civil War. After many hours of looking through Indiana regimental rosters I think I might have found the guy. He would have been 2 months shy of his 17th birthday when he enlisted. The first and last names match plus his middle initial. He also would have been living in the county they guy on the roster listed as his residence. But I saw his and his wife's gravestone and it doesn't mention his service. I'm really wanting to nail this down 100%....where and what can I do to verify that he is or isn't the Civil War ancestor? The guy survived the war and rose to the rank of Sgt.

Posted: Sat Mar 5th, 2011 06:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
mathbrat

Mana: 

BHR62 what is his name?

Posted: Sat Mar 5th, 2011 09:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Burton S. Dimmett of the 42nd Indiana.  He lived until 1918.

Posted: Sat Mar 5th, 2011 09:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
mathbrat

Mana: 

BHR62 I looked on Ancestry.com and found a Civil War pension record for a Burton S. Dimmett and his wife Mary F. Dimmett. The document was hard to read, but I saw a 42 on the original.

Posted: Sat Mar 5th, 2011 09:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

oh my God...that was his wife's name also....THANK YOU! 

Posted: Sat Mar 5th, 2011 11:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
mathbrat

Mana: 

Your Welcome!

Posted: Sun Apr 3rd, 2011 04:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
5fish

Mana: 

Sarah wrote: My grandmother swears that we have in our history a Civil War general.  How exciting!  But of course it has to be a General John Smith, one of the most common names ever.  And I don't know what side he fought for, as he likely either came from Virginia or West Virginia (though really it could be any state below the Mason-Dixon).  I don't know really anything else other than his name.

It's a long shot, I know, but has anyone heard of a General John Smith?

Here is a link that list all generals that served in the civil war both North and South...

http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/generals.html

Form these list the was just one general named John E. Smith and he fought for the union...

Current time is 10:33 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3492 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 28 queries executed.