Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Wirz vs Winder - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 11th, 2007 09:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Over the last few months my primary reading has been cw prisons for a number of reasons - several ancestors were pow's on both sides; several died in Elmira, Camp Douglass, Ft. Delaware, Andersonville; 2 were camp commandants - Camp Ford, Andersonville (Winder). Just wanted to start a discussion - if Winder had survived the war, would it have been his neck in the noose rather than Wirz? Also, from my reading Andersonville was horrible but was it b/o the souths' lack of food (prison guards faired not much better in terms of their food supplies than the prisoners they were guarding) where as at Elmira food/clothing/housing was intentionally withheld with the knowledge of Lincoln, Stanton, etc.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Oct 11th, 2007 11:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Doc C-

There is no doubt in my mind that it would have been Winder's neck in the noose if he had not died before the federals could get their hands around it. The question for me is whether or not it would have been Wirz' neck in addition.

Posted: Fri Oct 12th, 2007 06:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
sweetea

Mana: 

I never understood why they went for Wirz in the first place!  He was hardly in charge of anything more than a dirt camp. 

Current time is 06:55 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1449 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 26 queries executed.