Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Civil War Battlefield Bill - Civil War Preservation - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Oct 27th, 2007 05:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
wahiggins
Walt Higgins

Mana: 

I just got this email from CWPT and thought I'd pass it along.  My representatives are already on the bill (Webb, Warner and Davis) but thought others might be interested in mailing their Senators/Congressmen.

Friends of Battlefield Preservation

We at the Civil War Preservation Trust (CWPT) are frequently asked, “What can I do to help?”  The most obvious answer is by becoming a member and donating to our fundraising campaigns.  Many of you have done just that – and your enthusiasm and generosity have helped us save nearly 25,000 acres nationwide.

But you can help in other ways as well – by donating a few moments of your time!

This past summer, a bipartisan group of preservation leaders in the U.S. House and Senate introduced the “Civil War Battlefield Preservation Act of 2007.”  This landmark legislation reauthorizes the Civil War Battlefield Preservation Program, the primary tool that CWPT and other battlefield preservation groups use to acquire historically significant battlefield land. 

The program provides federal matching grants that have helped protect more than 14,000 acres of hallowed ground throughout the nation – historic shrines such as Antietam, Champion Hill, Chancellorsville, Franklin, Manassas, Perryville and Prairie Grove.  Without this program, many lands associated with these famous battlefields would have fallen to the backhoe and bulldozer in the past decade..

As is the case with many federal programs, the Civil War Battlefield Preservation Program needs to be reauthorized every few years.  Passage of the Civil War Battlefield Preservation Act of 2007 (H.R. 2933 in the House and S. 1921 in the Senate) will guarantee that this extremely valuable preservation tool will continue to be available to protect endangered battlefield land through 2013.

TAKE ACTION

Get involved in the effort to pass the Civil War Battlefield Preservation Act.  Take a few moments to contact your U.S. Senators and Representative and ask them to cosponsor the bill. 

You can call, write or email them – whichever you prefer (although calls and letters are always the most effective).  If you are a member of a Civil War roundtable or friends group, consider setting up a meeting with your local congressional office.

To make your active involvement as quick and easy as possible, CWPT has set up a special website about the program at http://www.battlefieldactivist.com.  This website has everything you need – sample phone scripts, sample letters, and information on contacting your elected officials in Washington.  It also contains of a list of 22 Senators and 61 Representatives who have already embraced this important legislation.

Find your Legislator:

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/directory/congdir.tt

Sample Letters:

http://www.battlefieldactivist.com/TakeAction/SampleLetters.html

Sample Phone Script:

http://www.battlefieldactivist.com/TakeAction/TelephoneScripts.html

List of Supporters:

http://www.battlefieldactivist.com/Support.html

If it turns out your Senator or Representative has already agreed to cosponsor the Civil War Battlefield Preservation Act, please send them a quick thank you (we provide sample text for that as well).  All too often, our elected officials only hear from the public when they do something wrong – please thank them for doing something so right.

If you have any questions, please reply to this email or call CWPT at 1-800-298-7878, ext. 220.  In many cases, legislators won’t cosponsor bills unless they hear from their constituents – so make sure your voice is heard!

Thank you for your continued enthusiasm and support!

Posted: Mon Jul 28th, 2008 11:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

Great stuff thanks for the info...

ken

Posted: Mon Jul 28th, 2008 12:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
izzy

Mana: 

All three of my reps are on the list of supporters of the bill.  I just sent out thank you's to them.  That was easy. :)

Posted: Thu Jul 31st, 2008 03:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Scout

Mana: 

Thanks for the heads up. Just thanked my 3 reps.

Posted: Thu Jul 31st, 2008 03:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Lawrence63
Teen Civil War Historian

Mana: 

Sweet, just gave a BIG thanks to my 4 reps :)

Current time is 03:49 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1595 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.