Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Frederick Douglass Monument - Civil War News/ Press Releases - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 30th, 2007 12:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Saw the Douglass newsclip. I live in Easton, but was unaware of the monument and it's controversy. Was wondering what the opinions of the the boards participants are as to this issue? As an aside, several of my ancestors names are on the cw memorial in the courthouse square. Also, Douglass was at one time a slave of another ancestor. Unfortunately, there's essentially no mention of Douglass in the area other than a roadside plaque. My vote would be for the monument in the square. Even though he didn't serve in the army, he did have a huge impact on the events of the time. Why the opposition - lack of knowledge of his contributions, the "r" word, etc. ? Douglass, in my opinion, is the most influential black individual of American history, much more so than Dr. King, who himself was a great man. How could a black individual gain access to the white house and the president in the 1860's, other than as a servant, during this period? Who was one of the persons who influenced Lincoln for emancipation, blacks in the military, etc. ?

Doc C

Posted: Tue Oct 30th, 2007 03:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

I agree Doc sounds like they are being petty, why is the CH square only reserved for honoring veterans? It should be for whoever the people of the county wish to honor. Just as they should never remove the CS memorial they should not withhold honoring Douglas, especially since they apparantly agreed to do so. Putting the statue at a library seems to be relegating him to a place of less honor IMO, I'm assuming Easton is probably laid out like a small Texas town where the CH is the center of business activity.

Posted: Tue Oct 30th, 2007 04:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

David

The library is actually right behind the CH and probably would have, in reality, more individuals who would actually see the monument in that location than in the CH square I'm planning to check with my friends at the county historical society where I volunteer to see if they have any information on this matter. Interesting, one source has told me more men were in the union army than the csa in this county. However, this area had many more csa officers/generals/wealthy land owners than those in the union army; i.e. men in position to erect a csa monument.

Doc C

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Oct 30th, 2007 07:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

In terms of honor, the Douglass statue should go in the CH area. However, the CH square is rather small, in fact one has to go into the gates of the square then travel to the left in order to see the confederate monument. Even if the Douglass statue goes into the square it will most likely not be seen from the street, just because of space issues, thus fewer people will see the statue. Thus the quandry, do the honorable thing - place it in the square where only people such as me will know where it is or the library where hundreds of school children/adults pass and maybe a few will ask who the man, Frederick Douglass, was. ?????

Doc C

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 01:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

either pos. for the statue would be good I guess for me the answer would be for the Libary area

"library where hundreds of school children/adults pass and maybe a few will ask who the man, Frederick Douglass, was. ?????"

Isnt that why monuments are made for people to see and reflect on the person and what they contributed seems to me more people coming by and seeing it is the goal. And think of the person would Douglass want his memorial next to a CSA Memorial I dont think he would IMO.

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 02:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Point well taken younglobo. Think the best place for the monument is the location where more can see and reflect on it. I'll keep the board posted after I learn more on this topic.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2007 11:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Here's the web site of the monument foundation and pictures of the CH where the proposed statue is to be placed. Though the pictures do show enough space, in reality it is quite small but possibly could work, depending on the monument. In speaking with the county historical socity reps., the foundation has not made any moves as of yet to aquire the land to place the statue. We do already have another county statue commemorating Douglas located at the public library in St. Michaels, approximately 10 miles away.

http://www.frederickdouglassproject.org/siteplan.html

Doc C

Posted: Wed Nov 14th, 2007 06:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
20th_Mass

Mana: 

Doc C,

Glad to see they want to honor Frederick Douglas. I was born and raised in Dorchester County in Maryland and I was suprised that there had never been a monument of Frederick Douglas or Harriet Tubman.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/20thMass

Posted: Wed Nov 14th, 2007 03:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Actually there is a Fredrick Douglas statue in the county - in front of the new library in St. Michaels. In doing some additional investigation in regards to the proposed CH statue - 1) a request has not been made to place the statue in the CH, 2) apparently some of the individuals proposing the statue have ruffled (have no information as to how) some community leaders feathers 3) these same individuals have thus far not involved those in the county historical society which I have become greatly involved with since moving here 6 months ago.

Another interesting aside on a related topic. We at the historical society are currently researching a slave uprising or "run" which occurred in the county.

Doc C

Current time is 05:36 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3498 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 27 queries executed.