Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Tasers in Schools? - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Nov 17th, 2007 01:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

Bama-

The attitude of "us versus them" is not new among law enforcement-It as as old as the profession itself. Hard to blame police for initially being skeptical of the community policing concept. Veterans for years of a reactive policing model are of course used to dealing with a higher percentage of  the "undesirable" elements of the citizenry than most are. They tend to hang out with other police officers, and the us vs them mentality prevails. 

Using tasers? Personally, I think I would prefer being zapped than beaten with a medal rod if I was a prepetrator refusing to comply. I agree with you that it should be used only at times when the perpetrator intends violence towards the officer. Deadly force raises those stakes, and the officer could then use discretion as to which tool is best applied (handgun, pepper spray, taser, "magic wand", etc.) That said If I am an officer and anyone that I can't easily overpower comes at me with a knife within 21 feet of me, keeps coming rapidly, and refuses to obey my command to drop the weapon,  I'm pulling my gun and shooting them.

Posted: Sat Nov 17th, 2007 01:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

Well I have to admit it has been a while since I left my Alma Mater...About 37 years ago..Sadly since then the world has changed somewhat...

All the boys I knew carried a knife to school including myself...We never would have thought about pulling it out on a teacher or a student...Taser was a word off of Star Trek..Teachers controlled the enviroment we were in...The paddle seen many days on my backside and if you thought you were going to take on the teacher well sometimes the teacher took you on...And Mom and Dad did not go get a lawyer and sue the school or the teacher...They called them and thanked them for giving you the punishment you deserved...All that said we come to the Taser issue...

Because of the above punishments our system has seen fit not to let teachers punish with these methods anymore..So is born the Rebel in the school who causes more problems than they are worth...Introduce other security measures such as Officers Tasers and screening so that we may send our children to school in what we now call a safe enviroment..Unfortunetly we have to do these things because there are gangs out there and these kids dont come to school anyway to learn but to cause trouble or sell drugs...Our system keeps this kind in the school and therefore we need to protect ourselves from this kind....

Just having a police officer with a Taser in the school should help prevent some of the problems but there are some kids that are just stupid and have to try the system. So I say if your going to try the system then the punishment that comes from going against that system is a Just Punishment..

As for the Police I will agree to some extent that some are a little overreactive to a situation but I will also say that they are also afraid for thier lives at times and are defending themselves against a violent threat..I know some Police Officers use their power to intimidate and I dont like this kind either. I know several Police Officers in my area and could point out both types...

If you have Tasers in school and you have to use them, then I say use them with wisdom and as a last resort and only in a life threatening situation...

Huma

Posted: Sat Nov 17th, 2007 06:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
ole

Mana: 

Agreed, Ed. Although tasers seem to be the current good choice of non-lethal weapons. Keep in mind though that we're hearing about only those unfortunate enough to die. That said, I'd expect a 220 pound cop to take down an unarmed, 140 pound woman without resorting to the taser.

Reversed, I'd think otherwise.

It ought to be up to the policy-makers of the individual departments; and they can take the heat when their charges misuse the equipment--kinda like the policies of hot-pursuit. This situation will change as soon as the public takes notice of over-zealous, unjustifiable use.

I would rather the officers have the taser than the baton. I'll suspect that an injury-comparison would fall to the benefut of the taser.

ole

Posted: Sun Nov 18th, 2007 02:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Before we all jump on a 220 lb policeman being able to subdue a 140 lb woman please recall my car door comment. And take into mind this anecdote: Back in 97 or so I was working a CCTV account... a LOT they had something like 300 cameras in this multi level dept store and I was there on a weekly bassis. Got to know the LP (loss prevention) crew pretty well and they would frequently show me detention/apprehension videos. One of the LP officers was a former USC football player... big doesn't cover it 6'6" and probably 320; at least and the size bus. I watched the video of him being flung across a room, yes he was airborne, courtesy of a junkie all of 110 lbs soaking wet. Took 6 LP guys to subdue him and about the same number of policemen to haul him away.

To this day I doubt a taser would have subdued this guy... I'm not sure a howitzer would have.

That said, a taser I think is preferable to a nightstick or ASP.

The tasers police carry have a chip inside that records how many times it was triggered and the times... easily checked to see if the police get a little too eager.

That said on a more humorous, though painful note was an incident about 2000, yep I watched the video, where a drunk decided he had to go right then and there in a parking garage. The slick business lady who had just finished shopping and was going to her car misunderstood his intentions. She shouted for him to stop, you could read her hollers, he couldn't... she fired and missed him completely, the taser darts fell about 18" short. As I said he couldn't stop...ever seen a bull pee on an electric fence?

Posted: Mon Nov 19th, 2007 02:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
David White

Mana: 

Why is a police officer more responsible for the well-being of a perpetrator than the perpetrator himself?

Bottom-line, any action and or inaction of the police officer has the possibility of impacting the well-being of the perpetrator, so it is incumbant on the perp to modify his behavior.

Last edited on Mon Nov 19th, 2007 03:27 pm by David White

Posted: Mon Nov 19th, 2007 03:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Tasers in schools? I could do with one to get my kids out of bed to go there.

Roger

Posted: Mon Nov 19th, 2007 04:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

Amen Johan. Size and strength are not the total equasion. Pain compliance is difficult to obtain with a suispect who has ingested an unreasonable amount of any type of pain medication ( be it prescription or unregulated). When Toledo Ohio P.D. first had tazers only officers who were trained in critical incident negotiation were allowed to carry them.  Any time any type of force is used to effect an arrest it may only be that which is necessary to effect the arrest.  

Johan I had a hunting buddy who used an electric fence as a urinal. He like most folks who are tazed learned not to repeat that behavior.   

Posted: Mon Nov 19th, 2007 05:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

I agree 100 percent with Kentucky and Bama. If anybody comes at me with a knife I am pulling my gun and am gonna keep shooting until they are down.

Current time is 11:09 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2220 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 29 queries executed.