Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

13th KY Cavalry, CSA - Other People of the Civil War - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 27th, 2005 01:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
last_cav1971

Mana: 

I would be very interested in obtaining any info on the 13th KY Cavalry, CSA.  My g-g-grandfather was Capt. of Co. E during the War.  I am a member of the SCV through him, I have his records, yet I cannot find a photo nor can anyone in my family......I seem to have hit a brick wall.

The 13th KY Cavalry, CSA was also known as the 10th KY Mounted Infantry at times and portions served under Gen. John Hunt Morgan and his brother in law Basil Duke.

Thanks,

Mark

Deo Vindice

Posted: Wed Jan 4th, 2006 11:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
last_cav1971

Mana: 

My g-g-g-grandfather was a Pvt. in the 26th Battalion VA Infantry.  He lost a leg to artillery fire at the Battle of New Market, VA. Private James L. Honaker.

His brother, who was also in the 26th, was allowed to accompany him home. Private Frederick Styrus Honaker.

Their brother John B S Honaker was Cpl. in the 26th.  He was captured during the Confederate retreat from Droop Mountain, WV.  One of only 2 members of the 26th to be captured.  He was sent to Camp Chase, OH and then to Ft. Delaware.

Their first cousin, Charles Morgan Honaker was a member of the 27th VA Infantry, or the 'Stonewall Brigade'.  He survived the war and became very successful in farming and land acquisition.

Another g-g-grandfather was a member of Thurmond's Partisan Rangers, later a part of Swann's VA Cavalry.  Supposedly a spy, I cannot find info on him.

Through marriage, I have 2nd Lt. James Barrett of the 37th VA Infantry. Part of the 'Stonewall Brigade'.  He was KIA at Sharpsburg/Antietam.

His brother was also in the 37th.  Sgt. Moses Robert Barrett.

They both married Honaker sisters.

Also through marriage into the Honaker family, I have: Henderson Dye, 37th VA Infantry.

George Madison Rhea, 37th VA Infantry.  Died or KIA during the War.

Harvey, Martin, James and John Honaker, all in the 37th VA Infantry.  James was in Co. G; the only one killed.

Jacob Honaker, Co. D, 26th VA Infantry.

Nicholas Honaker, Co. G, 37th Va Infantry and Co. D, 22nd VA Cavalry.

James Honaker, Capt., Co. D, 13th KY Cavalry, CSA.

Andrew Eldridge Bostic, Co. D, 27th VA Infantry.

Harvie Honaker, killed at Gettysburg, PA.

4th Sgt. John Deskins, 16th VA Cavalry, Co. G & H.  KIA

Also from KY I have Robert, Aaron, William David, Allen, and Samuel Pinson.  All of whom died ca. 1863.

From TX, I have Andrew Jackson Honaker, 5th Co. Partisan Rangers, Cooper's Brigade.  Died of fever on Jan. 26, 1863 at Camp Snow, Indian Territory.

Mark

Deo Vindice

Posted: Wed Jan 4th, 2006 01:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Xan
Administrator

Mana: 

Hi Mark,

I would say "Hey Cuz!" because I too as it happens have a Honaker ancestor. However I am not sure you would be too thrilled to claim a relationship since he fought for the Union. :)

My  (hmm, let me count fingers here...he was my maternal grandmother's grandfather so...) great-great grandfather was Benjamin Honaker. I am not into genealogy at all so all I know of the family is what Grandma told me, and that name was about it.

I know he joined the 4th Ohio as I have a photocopy of the 1890 Census record indicating same. (In a display of ingenuity, he joined up REAL quick when the war started so was in the original, 3-month 4th OH. Displaying great skills at self-preservation he declined to reenlist when they converted to the 3 year regiment. Given all that unit went through, this decision probably results in me being here today.)

Several years ago we were poking around some genealogy boards and found an indication that a Benjamin Honaker had come out of Virginia to join in Ohio, so I assume that is what would today be West Virginia. Is that where your Honakers are from? If you have any Benjamins in your records I would be interested to hear about them. Unfortunately the copy I have is only of the "Special Schedule: Surviving Soldiers, Sailors..." etc, which has the military records ("Pvt, Co. H, 4 OH") but not details like date of birth.  He wound up in the far northwest corner of Missouri after the war, as a farmer.

Posted: Wed Jan 4th, 2006 07:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
last_cav1971

Mana: 

I think I have him here.

Benjamin Honaker; born August 28, 1836 in Virginia.  Died June 6, 1905 in Elmo, Missouri.  He was an Ohio Volunteer Infantry soldier in the Civil War.  He married Louisa J. Abbott on Dec. 31, 1863 in Marion, OH.  She was born on May 31, 1841 in Licking County, OH and Died May 16, 1934 in Elmo, Missouri.

Children: Elliott; b May 13, 1867-----Elizabeth J.; b Oct. 9, 1869;married Alexander Horn------Mary; b Oct. 18, 1871------Fred; b Sept. 7 1875-----James b; July 24, 1877----Vera b; April 2, 1879.......Clara b; June 1882----Houstan b; Aug. 18, 1887

Im thinking that his father was Jacob Honaker and his grandfather was Abraham Honaker.

It appears that Benjamin had a brother named James who was born Feb. 28, 1843 and died while in the Ohio Volunteer Infantry from fever on April 28, 1864.

You get a double whammy there:)

Apparently their father, Jacob moved the family from Montgomery County, VA to Marion County, OH.  Green Camp Township, Ohio in 1839 or 1840.

Let me know if you think this is him.

Mark

Deo Vindice

Posted: Wed Jan 4th, 2006 10:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Xan
Administrator

Mana: 

Well my stars and garters as Grandma used to say! That's him for sure.

Elmo's the name of the town all right, although "wide spot in the road" might be a better description. My descent is through whichever one of the Honaker daughters married someone named Calfee, which was Grandma's maiden name. I really do have some more information on the family but all the papers are at my sister's place in northern Illinois, not handy here in W. TN.

I begin to understand some of the fascination with genealogy after all. It's a pretty amazing feeling to just sit there and discover the name of ancestors two more generations back. :)

Sorry this all has been of no particular help in your efforts to track YOUR Honaker ancestor. All I can think of to suggest is that if he rode with John Hunt Morgan, there might be records along the route where the Great Invasion passed.

Indiana and Ohio have both done work in recent years to mark the route, distribute driving-tour style brochures and otherwise promote the event for tourism purposes. Unfortunately nobody could come up with enough money to preserve the site of the Battle of Buffington Island where most of them were captured, and it is slowly being destroyed by a gravel-mining company.

Thanks again for your help, and best wishes on finding a photo of your fellas. :)

Posted: Thu Jan 5th, 2006 02:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
last_cav1971

Mana: 

No thanks necessary.  I believe that I could come up with the rest of the line.

I live for this stuff.:D

Mark

Deo Vindice

Posted: Sun Apr 25th, 2010 03:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Cricket

Mana: 

If you need the info to order the book "Honaker Family in America" you can contact the Honaker Family Assn., Inc. at P.O. Box 3636 Alexandria, Va  22302-0636 (703)751-7321

Posted: Tue Dec 28th, 2010 07:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
kamknauss

Mana: 

Hi,

My great-grandmother Helen Honaker Walker had family in Elmo, Mo.  Her parents were James and Mary (Watson) Honaker.  She had brothers Ralph and Jim that I know of and sisters Elizabeth (Betty), Lena that I know of.  Her only surviving child, Donna Belle, is my mother's mother.  Her other child, Charles Walker, died at around 3 weeks old in Clarinda, IA.  Helen died in 1991 and would be 100 years old this year, I believe.  I have no other history other than this.  I just stumbled across this site while researching her parents. You've helped quite a bit and I think we're distant relatives.  Thanks!

Kami Knauss
Council Bluffs, IA

Current time is 04:43 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1754 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 26 queries executed.