Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Greetings All - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Nov 19th, 2007 09:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Don

Mana: 

Well, it took me a while (6 months), but I finally discovered that there really is a discussion board here at CWI.  Prior to this my experience was pretty much limited to This Week in Blogs and the bios section, so I'm greatly looking forward to some discussion.

I'm a grad student, but not yet a history grad student.  Have to finish this one first.  Maybe next fall....  I'm currently adjusting to life back in the Rockies after three years in Virginia.  Keenly observant person that I am, I've already discovered that it takes a LOT longer to get to the battlefields from here. :P 

Like Daniel, my blog's reviewed here at CWI, much to the delight of both of my readers.  Also like Daniel, I run out of new and original topics, so if you have post ideas I'd love to hear them. 

Posted: Mon Nov 19th, 2007 10:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Welcome Don, and remember self-promotion is encouraged and welcomed here, so feel free to post the URL of your blog!

Posted: Tue Nov 20th, 2007 02:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
booklover

Mana: 

Don,

Glad to have you here. Glad you discovered the distance from Colorado to Virginia...makes me feel better about the state of education today!

Best
Rob

Posted: Tue Nov 20th, 2007 03:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Don

Mana: 

Rob,

It was driven oh so slowly with a dog and a very pregnant wife. It seemed at times that I made note of every mile. 8^)

There is some Civil War-ness around here, though. Fort Garland, Fort Union, Valverde, Glorietta Pass....

Posted: Tue Nov 20th, 2007 03:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Don

Mana: 

Javal,

Well, then, in the interest of shameless self-promotion:

http://crossedsabers.blogspot.com

Posted: Tue Nov 20th, 2007 05:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

GLAD TO HAVE YOU HERE. YOU CAN FIND SOME PRETTY GOOD DISCUSSIONS HERE.

Posted: Tue Nov 20th, 2007 06:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
ole

Mana: 

Don:

I'll admit up front that I have little interest in regimentals, regular or volunteer. Perhaps even less in cavalry. But your site is fine and a very interesting read. Who knows? You might actually have kindled a tiny flame.

ole;)

Posted: Tue Nov 20th, 2007 08:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Don

Mana: 

Ole,

There's a little bit of cavalry in everyone, some people just haven't realized it yet. 8^P Generally because they don't realize how many good generals came from the five regiments before the war: Thomas, A.S. Johnston, R.E. Lee, Sedgwick, Kirby Smith, Stuart, etc.

Even those disinterested in the cavalry stop occasionally for the bios, and I've been trying to post those more often --- at least once a week.

Posted: Sat Nov 24th, 2007 04:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Have not read a single Blog in my life but a Blog Dedicated to Cav. now that is cool and a new addition to my favorites man that civil war folder is growing. LOL so many sites and books so little time.

Posted: Sat Nov 24th, 2007 05:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Don

Mana: 

Younglobo, if it's cav you're interested in, then I would have to highly recommend Rantings of a Civil War Historian and Hoofbeats and Cold Steel.  The links are in the links section on the left of my homepage.  Eric and JD both write better than I do and are much more knowledgeable on Civil War cavalry in general.  I think you'll really enjoy them and learn a bit in the process.

Posted: Sat Nov 24th, 2007 06:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Don
Saw that one on the list on your site thanks for the info.

So in your opinion who is the greatest cav. Gen. during the war ?

Posted: Sun Nov 25th, 2007 04:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Don

Mana: 

I have several favorites, but you'll have to qualify your question a little for me to answer that one. Greatest geenral in terms of what? Win-loss record? Overall accomplishments? Best use of forces at hand?

I don't ask this to be difficult, but because in terms of the above three questions I think there are three different answers.

I need to think about this one a bit. Stuart did great things before logistical difficulties began to hinder him. Sheridan was a great general, but I'm undecided about whether or not he was a great cavalry general. Forrest fought well, but how effective was he in the end, other than a big victory at Brice's Crossroads? Wilson and others did some impressive things during the Atlanta campaign (Sherman's Horsemen, incidentally, is an excellent book on cavalry, and very affordable on Amazon). Hampton and Fitz Lee were no slouches.

Buford's a favorite, but we serned in the same regiment, so I admit a good deal of bias. 8^)

Hmm, this might be a good blog topic and get answers from the field....

Posted: Fri Nov 30th, 2007 06:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

I would lump all three of your questions together. Plus if you have a quiet day who is your favorite to read up on?

Posted: Sat Dec 1st, 2007 07:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Don

Mana: 

This is beginning to sound like a thread that should be moved elsewhere. Younglobo, after taking a day to think about it, I don't have an answer for your last question.

In gathering information the last few months, I've delved extensively into the Cullum biographies (West Pointers), the Henry biographies (non-West Point officer appointees, both volunteers and appointments from the ranks, Heitman's historical army register and Powell's biographies to gather facts on all of the officers from just one of the six regular cavalry regiments. Having nearly completed said endeavor (still trying to find a couple of pesky assistant surgeons), I spend quiet hours trying to piece the couple of hundred pages of text into coherent biographies.

At this point, I don't know that I have a favorite.

Current time is 04:29 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4012 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.