Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Lemat Revolvers - Weapons of the Civil War - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 06:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

I saw Modern Marvels yesterday and it was on Civil War Weapondry. They were talking about several different weapons. My favorite was the Lemat Revolver. There is nothing better than a hand gun and a 16 gauge shotgun all in one. The narrator said that if your lucky enough to find one at a auction they go for 2,000 dollars or more. If you want it engraved it goes even higher. In my oppinion if it aint already engraved with something Im aint going to engrave it. 

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 07:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

I find it hard to believe that an ACW-era LeMat could be had for as little as $2000. There weren't that many imported and those that were were expensive. Think I read that Stuart carried one, but can't be positive about it.

And you're right about the engraving. If you had one, you'd best be very, very careful about cleaning it.

ole

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 07:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

J.E.B. Stuart carried one. He was a firm believer in them. Ive heard that every man in his calvary unit had one. They were great because you could use two different types of bullets and were deadly at close range.

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 07:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

The website http://www.antebellumcovers.com/ reports the following LeMat revolver for $18,900. I agree with Ole....find one for two grand, ya better get it!:

"

Confederate Nine Shot/Grape Shot LeMat Revolver  Pic1   Pic2   Pic3   Pic4   Pic5   Pic6  

Pic7   Pic8   Pic9   Pic10   $18,900
A Transitional Model of the famous LeMat revolver in very strong condition and quality with a very desirable early All Matching Serial Numbers #915,  barrel marked “Col. LeMat BTE sgdg Paris”.  The two piece walnut checkered handles are crisp with very minimal wear. The gun’s metal surface shows nice original even brown patina. Some original blue remains in less exposed areas.  The LeMat “grapeshot” revolver was a highly prized sidearm among Confederate officers.  There were less than 3,000 made for the Confederacy.  It is a very high quality firearm and delivers an unprecedented amount of firepower.  Has 9, .42 caliber charges rotating around one 20 gauge shotgun barrel.  The hammer could be converted from striking the revolving pistol caps to striking the central shotgun cap with the flick of a thumb. 
This revolver came into the Confederacy through the second delivery of 500 guns to Richmond between January – July 1863. The famous Confederate Navy Captain John N. Maffitt of the CSS Florida carried LeMat revolver #946, 31 units after this offered LeMat.   A true war time LeMat of excellent overall condition for any Civil War collection.  

Revolver comes formerly from the collection of noted collector Lewis Leigh of Leesburg, VA.

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 07:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

If I could find one for two grand. I just reported what the History Channel said. Of course this particular episode was filmed in 04

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 07:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I'm sure they were mistaken when quoting a $2,000 price. The writers for those shows are not historians. I've caught several mistakes on the Historty Channel....the most memorable is when they gave the wrong dates for the battle of Shiloh!

I do like the History Channel, but take a great deal of what they say with a grain of salt.

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 07:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

My tv lives on the History Channel. Occasionally Ill change it but your right sometimes they dont get things right

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 08:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Once  my 6 year old son goes to bed and the cartoons are off and as long as I'm not painting 15mm Civil War figures or watching the Sopranos, it's the History Chanel for me, too!!

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 08:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Have you ever watched Lost. You might like that show. I went to Florida two years ago with my grandparents. We stopped in Georgia for a few nights with my aunt, uncle and cousin. Every body went to bed about 11 while my uncle and me watched History Channel til 3 in the morning. The next day my papa asked us what we did all night. When we told him we watched History all night he said it would have put him to sleep. Every body else agreed with him.

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 09:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I really don't watch any network TV......In the summer, I am outside till it's time for bed (we live in the country, so I spend my time watching life go by on the back porch!!). In the winter, I usually paint 15mm Civil War soldiers so we can play "Johnny Reb III" on my game table, or I'm downstairs in my "bar" (affectionately called "Old Times", as "old times are not forgotten, look away, look away looka way, Dixieland) having "open mic night" with my karaoke machine!!

Basically, I've not found too much on TV anymore that interests me enough to come in off the porch.....I guess I enjoy the sunsets more.....

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 09:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Your a pretty funny guy. I dont know anyone who would openly admit that they have open mic night without worring about being mocked.

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 09:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Well, Dixiegirl, life is what ya make it and if people want to make fun of me, let'em.....I'm the one enjoying myself!

My wife has been known to pound the floor (the bar is in the basement, right under the living room) and tell me that, despite what I may think, I really don't sound like the Eagles when I sing!

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 09:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

You might not sound exactly like them but I bet you could give them a run for their money!!!! lol.

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 09:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

In my mind, I may even be better!!...heehee....

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 09:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Keep that positive attitude. maybe one day your wife will think the same

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 11:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

The LeMat actually was not very popular w/ the men who carried them, the CS govt didn't like them much either mainly due to their cost and odd ammo. The men disliked them for their weight and odd .40 or .42 cal, I don't recall which, bullet. In short existing stocks of ammo were either too big or too small. A Kerr or Colt was about half the weight and less than a third of the cost; not to mention being less complex and easier to maintain and get ammo for.

I believe less than 1500 were imported into the CS.

Albert; I think I've heard you sing... oops wait a minute that was the mules in the corral at the end of the company street. :)

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 11:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

I go to several Civil War shows a year, and also visit the Horse Soldier in Gettysburg when I am there. The LeMat is indeed a spectacular weapon to behold, but Johan is correct in that it is rather heavy to lug around. Also, they are not cheap. One in good condition generally goes for $20,000 (I suspect because they are rare) and I've seen one as high as $35,000.

Another pricey weapon is the Henry rifle. I once saw one with an asking price of $50,000, which is considerably more than I paid for my house in 1982.

Civil War artifacts are getting pricier and pricier. Now that I'm on a fixed income (the one my wife allows me), I'm down to purchasing buttons and bullets. And even then, I have to give pause before purchase.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Dec 14th, 2007 03:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Bama-

Colonel LeMat was a business associate of General Beauregard, and also his son-in-law.

LeMat Revolver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Posted: Fri Dec 14th, 2007 12:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Johann,

No, I can almost guarantee you've heard me sing.....At reenactments, sometimes we get into captured libation a little too deep, and the songs naturally bellow from us!!

That may explain the lack of wildlife around our camp....we run off all the squirrels!!

Current time is 05:27 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2087 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 27 queries executed.