Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

What Is a Civil War Round Table? - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 03:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Guess there was a reason  you couldn't join that group.  You were meant to join the one you did. 

Sounds like a fun group you have joined.

Susan

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 04:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
ole

Mana: 

It's nice to know the CWRT in our community is the exception to the rule. Everything turned out for the best, however, as we became affiliated with a group from Lawnfield, President Garfield's home.
Thank goodness you got past that pint of peverts. I've never heard of a Round Table that wants no women! Most of them would appreciate a warm body.

Good to hear that your further search worked out better. Even if they allowed you to attend, they were likely too stupid to bother with. Geez.

ole

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 02:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
Lincoln Fan

Mana: 

Thought I'd give you all an update from the all-male CWRT area of Ohio. I had breakfast this AM with some people from my Lawnfield group. One of their guests was a gentleman who is a member of the Toledo Ohio CWRT. He spoke very highly of their woman president (kj3553 would that be you?). I am up that way quite often during the summer months and he told me to look them up, which I just might do.

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 04:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

Lincoln Fan wrote: Thought I'd give you all an update from the all-male CWRT area of Ohio. I had breakfast this AM with some people from my Lawnfield group. One of their guests was a gentleman who is a member of the Toledo Ohio CWRT. He spoke very highly of their woman president (kj3553 would that be you?). I am up that way quite often during the summer months and he told me to look them up, which I just might do.
Why yes! As a matter of fact, I am. May I ask who it was who spoke so highly of me? I'd like to pay him off. ;) I mean, thank him. (I'm scratching my head, trying to think who told me they were going to be around your neck of the woods.)

I've been president for...too many years. I've told the club that this is my last year, that some "new blood" needs to step up and take over. I'm ready to retire and sit on my laurels...and get back to working on my 14th OVI research.

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 03:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
ashbel

Mana: 

kj

Good luck on retiring.  It has never worked for me with my Round Table.  I am on my 12th year.

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 06:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
kj3553

Mana: 

One fellow asked if anyone's stepped forward yet and express an interest in the job. Nope, I told him. At the same time, I haven't been exactly out banging on drums yet, trying to beat 'em out of the bushes. It's a few months away from our elections, so I've got time.

But I'm serious about not wanting to be president anymore. I've been telling folks I'll continue doing the newsletter and our website, and work as a trustee at board meetings, but it's time to let someone else bang the gavel. Just have to wait and see.

Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2008 01:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Our long time founding female president finally said she was leaving a little over a year ago.  No one really stepped forward to take over except two guys said maybe they could do it part time.   One can't remember anything from one minute to the other , and the other one because of work hasn't been at a meeting for months as he works on the night of our meeting.  The President use to do the newsletter and programs.  I have been doing this , she appointed me!  I swear every meeting I wish the female president was back. 

susan

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2008 03:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
Lincoln Fan

Mana: 

kj3553,
I have his card but can't find it at the moment. I know his name was Randy, last name something like Schimmel but not sure. He was accompanying Ralph Borror whom you may or may not know. Ralph does the first person of Abraham Lincoln and they were in town for the annual Dinner with the Presidents we have every year.

Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2008 03:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Evening all,

I have been a member of the CWRT of NY for the past 11 years, and am just finishing my first year as the VP of Programs for the Round Table.  Guess my greatest surpise when I was elected to the job was the lack of female speakers we have had here over the years.  My goal here when I took this job was that the speakers I got for our meetings would have to know their CW history, and I could care less whether they were male or female.

I know I have done that, and the winner of the Fletcher Pratt Award, which is the most prestigious award our Round Table gives out will be awarded to Professor Joan Cashin of The Ohio State University this May.

It's a tough job trying to line up speakers, but amidst all the problems I have found myself facing, I am very grateful that many of our members have come up to me and thanked me for the various speakers I have lined up since last September.

To me, the big problem facing RTs today is the fact that we can't draw younger folks to join up and be a part of the tradition here, which has been going on for the past 56 years.  I am one of the younger members of the RT, and I will be turning 45 this July.  I wish I could figure out why there is not more interest in the younger generation in terms of our shared history.  Scares me to hell when I think that organizations like the RT here in NY could find itself out of business down the road.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

VP of Programs, The CWRT of NY

Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2008 04:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
kj3553

Mana: 

Lincoln Fan, I know who you're talking about. Yeah, I've known Randy for a few years. And yes, I know Ralph, too. He used to be affiliated with our RT.

And Steve, I hear you about trying to get younger people involved. For the last several years, we've had an "arrangement" with one of our local high schools where there's actually an elective Civil War course for juniors and seniors! Students who are interested in doing so are invited to research a CW-related project and present them at one of our meetings. I had hoped we would pick up some new, younger members through this, but so far -- no go.

So I wonder, if you can't get young people who take an elective course on the Civil War to join your group, what do you do next?

Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2008 10:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
ashbel

Mana: 

I think all Civil War Round Tables have an older membership.  My hope is that this means as people age they develop a greater interest in history. 

Frankly, I don't lose any sleep over it.  My experience has been that if you have good programs, people will come.  We really don't care how old they are or what sex they are or what "side" they are on.  All are welcome.  The only qualifications are a love of history and a desire to learn.

Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2008 04:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

ashbel that is how our round table feels too.  Everyone interested is welcome.  I had three friends I have known on and off since school who  kept hearing me talk about round table.  They finally decided to see what it was all about.  They had not had a previous interest in Civil War history but now they never miss a meeting .  They are learning as they attend. 

Susan

Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2008 04:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
54th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

thats the way they should be. gender, age, & color should not decide who can join and who cant.

Posted: Thu Feb 28th, 2008 07:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
55th Post
Don

Mana: 

Susan,

If you can use some info for the CW soldiers in the Span-Am (no, Ole, not Spam) War, let me know. Seems like most of the generals served together in the Civil War.

Defender,

Very nice, but I almost got coffee all over my keyboard. A little warning next time?

Posted: Thu Mar 20th, 2008 04:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
56th Post
kj3553

Mana: 

Lincoln Fan, I saw Randy at our March meeting and told him he was famous, having been mentioned on this board. He said to say "Hi!" to you.

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 12:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
57th Post
Widow

Mana: 

The Bull Run Civil War Round Table meets at the public library in Centreville, second Thursday of the month, year around.  Some of us meet for dinner at a restaurant across the street, but it's unofficial.

Most meetings have 40-50 people, special guest speakers like Ed Bearss draw lots more.  Our members are well informed and several have written books, but we're not all in that category.  Because there are many retired military people in the area, it's not surprising to find them in the RT as well.  Our president is a retired colonel, others include a retired skipper of a nuclear attack sub, a retired 4-star USAF general, an astronaut.  Two are high-level civilians in the Pentagon.

We make several field trips a year, car-pooling from the library.  In March we chartered a bus and followed Booth's escape route from Ford's Theater to Garrett's farm.  On May 10, we're going to the Wilderness.

Dues are $15 a year, "We're cheap but we're proud!"  We have a used-book table set up in the back of the meeting room, proceeds go to the RT treasury.

We support preservation by donations to CWPT, Brandy Station, and other preservation groups.  Maybe even more important, the exec. committee stays well informed about proposed zoning changes, designation of historic sites, road construction, etc.  Active participation at hearings in Fairfax and Prince William Counties, lobbying to protect and defend.

Most of the members are men, which suits me fine :=)).  We're mostly 40 and above.  But the women are as gung-ho, active, and informed as the men.

I wouldn't miss a meeting for anything.  Patty

You have chosen to ignore Southern Son. click Here to view this post

Current time is 07:45 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3830 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 29 queries executed.