Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Other Civil War Talk > How Do You Store Your CW Books and Magazines?

How Do You Store Your CW Books and Magazines? - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2007 02:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

My books and magazines are beginning to crowd me out of house and home. Hubby is patient, but I know it kind of irritates him. I even have been keeping some at my Mom's house, but I think it bothers her too because she is not a collector and prefers Spartan furnishings. 

I know many, maybe even all of you, have large collections of books and Civil War magazines too. How do you store them all?  How do you keep them organized so that when you want a particular book to check a reference or fact, you can easily find the book?  Do you ever just re-read a favorite book rather than buy yet another one?

Last edited on Sun Dec 16th, 2007 02:39 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2007 03:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Reread my books all the time but also buy others. I'm a sucker for books. It's getting to the point that I'm ditching my medical books for my cw/history books. Have a couple of rebuys (books already purchased), really pi-- me off (want to but them?). Getting "old timers disease". Organize my collections as to battles, biographies, regimental histories, medical, prisons, etc. I'm pretty much an organizational freak.

Doc C

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2007 08:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Doc I just donated over 100 books to the high school here .  I gave them to the theatre arts department.  They were all scripts, and other books on the theatre.  Made a little more room on the shelves for the Civil War , American West and Lewis and Clark. 

Next we work on the mystery collection .  Then I will have plenty of room for a while . 

Trying to get them all organized now.  Made a data base for them .  I was starting to buy the same book twice a couple of times. 

Magazines I have in the plastic magazine holders but getting so many.  Might take them to round table to donate for raffle .  Might not too. 

Soooo many books so little space.  

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2007 08:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

Doc:

My system is about the same as yours. To the left of the window is Western Theater Battles; to the right is Eastern, and both are roughly in chronological order. Over the window is General Military (those which cover both theaters)and Unit Histories. Biographies and autobiographis are in a former closet. Below the window are Classics, Reference, SocioPolitical, Miscellaneous and what I call Before/After which includes books on the Constitution causes, slavery and reconstruction.

And you do need a data base. When I first completed mine, I had 32 duplicates. Now I always check it when I hear of a book to make sure I don't already have it. (They say it's the first thing to go, but I believe it's closer to the second or third.)

ole

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2007 09:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I have an agreement w/ the better half... there is a bookshelf I made on the porch, I am allowed that much space for my CW books. If I can't find room on that bookcase I have to get rid of one to make room.

We made the agreement and then I made the bookcase... hehehe it's about twice the normal depth of a regular bookshelf and the shelves are particularly sturdy so I can stack 2-3 deep and pretty high. Wife calls me a smart... alleck. I just grin... shut up and buy her more fabric. I'm not certain if I got the better deal or not.

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2007 11:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Sounds like a good deal for both of you.  My problem is I can't stand to have books behind other books .  I want to look at the bookcase and see the book I want.   I am working on changing the back bedroom which has been a libary ever since I bought the house.  Not the best room for a libray but ole's idea for the closet might work.  I am in the process of sorting books and making data base.  Any book I will not use again , read again is going .  I have sets of mystery writers .  Complete Ed McBain etc.  I will never reread those.  Now don't touch my Nancy Drews those are sacred. 

Once I get that room redone I will turn it into my Civil War library room.  That's the goal. 

Hopefully before another big earthquake.  Always a concern with books in high bookcases in California

Susan

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2007 11:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
ole

Mana: 

No bookcases! attach shelves to the wall. And then keep the books tight with bookends. Books might come off, but the shelves won't tip over like a bookcase (unless, of course, the house tips over).

ole

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2007 11:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

When we retired, we moved into a condo that is really quite small because we didn't want the upkeep and maintenance on a bigger place. We have a fantastic view, but no room to spare. Trouble is the requirement for SPACE doesn't decline just because one is retired.

I don't have a closet to spare or a sheltered porch to build shelves. How I envy you folks with the extra space. I know culling some of the books would help, but I am glued to them and can't bare to part with them. Also, I can't really donate them because I underline, make marginal notes, draw crying faces beside sad passages, funny faces beside humorous passages, annotate maps, fill up every blank space with comments and abbreviations.

No one could ever read a book after I have made my "mess" but I can't read any other way. For me, my books are more valubale after having annotated them and colored in maps for clarity, but only in my own mind. No one else could ever have a use for a book I have visited first.:D

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 12:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Hello Fan?  Are we related?  I was just telling Marie she didn't want to read a book that I had read after me as it would be all marked up.  I write notes, underline, write definitions of words that I don't know so next time I will. 

I tried to read a book once I borrowed from my principal.  The book was on Reading.  He had highlighted all the sections that would have been important to an administrator.  I had to give it back to him and get my own copy .  What he highlighted was of no interest to me, but the other parts he skipped were very important. 

Susan

Ole I have no idea how to build my own shelves.  The bookcases in that room I have had since I was a child.  They are now  antiques . 

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 01:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
ole

Mana: 

Susan, antique bookcases are to be prized, but they are inefficient. Would put the shelves up for you, but the chances of my visiting the Left Coast are quit slim. Would take less than two hours for a handyman to put them up for you. You must know someone old who knows how to do that sort of thing!

I don't have room in the house to hold the bookcases it would take to hold what I have on that one wall.

Cleburne Fan: Don't suppose you would trade hubby to gain space for your books? Naah. I guess not.

ole

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 01:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

ole wrote:
Cleburne Fan: Don't suppose you would trade hubby to gain space for your books? Naah. I guess not.

ole

Aah, there are certain times...:D

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 05:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ole thanks for the offer . I figure the only way any of you all would get to the left coast is a way way west coast muster and there isn't enough Civil War here to do that .  Too far apart too .  Drum Barracks down here and Fort Point up in San Francisco .   I am a ways away from getting the  shelves done yet .  Might have to hire someone or try to do something myself one day.  Shelves are only antique as Mom bought then and finished them when my brother and Iwere in high school  to hold the books we were collecting .  Wish I had the built in ones she designed and had made on either side of the Fireplace in the last home we all lived in together .  they were  floor to ceiling on either side of the fireplace .  Designed to hold my books I had then .  Would need several more though just like them now .

Oh well. 

Susan

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 08:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Cleburne, if you have a extra room in your house put them in that room. Go buy some bookshelves and then organize your books however you wish. I organize mine by the year they came out and by author.

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 08:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I seperate by Campaigns, biographies & diaries which I tend to keep together and reference frequesntly, then the politics & misc I put in a seperate section where I hope I don't have to access it too often (politics of 1860 were as obnoxious as those of today). The majority of my shelfspace is taken up by books covering the arms & equipment.

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 09:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Not only am I trying to organize my library.  I am organizing the Drum Barracks library.  Didn't have any tours one day and nothing else I was supose to do .  I just can't see driving a half hour to forty five minutes one way to just sit around .  Sooo I wandered into the library which is my favorite room anyway.   I looked at the biography section first.  There was no rhyme no reason to it, Lee was mixed in with Lincoln, books that had Lee, Grant or Lincoln in the title were filed under those names but the book would be about someone who worked with one of the men.  I have all the biographies done.  I have the Campaign section done in Alphabetical Order .  I started to do it by state , I also did it by Cronological order but talking to others who use the library went by to straight Alphabetical.   I have made sections for weapons, war on the water ,uniforms  and accoutrements , and science section .  I have several sections to go .  The fun part is I will know exactly what books are in the library when I am done and as a docent I can check them out and take them home to read.  :D

I am working now on the California history section in another bookcase .  That and the straight reference section .  Making nice new labels for the cases too.  I will get this all done and then a new major donation arrives.  One of the paid employees enters the information in the data base, but I will get to organize on the shelf.  Two older gentlemen came to visit a few weeks ago . Liked what they saw and heard and are donating their libaries to us .  One will arrive in the next few months the other is for five years or so down the line.   This is how we are building the libary, from these donations .  Any duplicates we put on a special shelf in the gift shop and sell , that money goes right back into buying books we don't have for the library.

Now back to work on my home library . 

Susan

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 10:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

I go to school full-time and work close to full time (25-35 hrs a week). I have a small appartment with no book-cases or actual shelves to speak of. Because of this my method of book organization may be unfamiliar to many here-I stack them. Thats right, stack them, one on top of the other according to the approximate size of the book in question-bigger books on the bottom, smaller books on top. Its a pretty small appartment so I have to be smart about optimizing my stacking space.

I have had more than a few incredulous looks from first time visitors (Many kids my age pertaining to the fact that I have so many, or any, books at all and older people that my method of organization is distasteful in some way I suppose). I apologize if this "stacking" method is unsettling to you readers-whether it be too revolutionary or antiquated or just plain slobbenly for your taste. Alas, if the means were there, perhaps I would be as organized as some of you...and perhaps not. I like to think it gives my apartment character in a way that most apartments lack, a sort of uniqueness only found in homes and not mere rental spaces.

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 10:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Orphan , works for you doesn't it?  I have had stacks many times in my life.  Have them now because I am trying to redo the bookcases and get them more organized and I have run out of bookcases.   I think it is great you are actually reading and it seems reading other things besides what is required in class .  That must come as a shock to some people but I would think to to any of us in this chat room. 

I have a series of one panel cartoons that ran in my local newspaper back sometime ago.  They all had the same title above the picture.  Each picture showed people in some crisis such as the soldier in a fox hole with all hell breaking lose around him.  He is frozen with his face frozen in fear.  The title above as in every one of the cartoons was . . . FEAR OF NOTHING TO READ. 

Enjoy your stacks.  :)

Susan

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2007 01:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
ole

Mana: 

Don't let the looks bother you, Orphan. Most everyone I know has stacks, even those with shelves or bookcases.

ole

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2007 04:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
ole

Mana: 

That method, Ed, would not survive an earthquake. Carried bricks and boards and books around considerable when I was younger as well.

But it has been a long time since there was an earthquake in Kentucky, hasn't it? Hey. It could happen.

ole

Current time is 07:04 pmPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Other Civil War Talk > How Do You Store Your CW Books and Magazines?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2216 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 28 queries executed.