Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Other Civil War Talk > How Do You Store Your CW Books and Magazines?

How Do You Store Your CW Books and Magazines? - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2007 02:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Even out here in earthquake country I had the brick and board bookcase for a very long time.  It survived the last big one 14 years ago.  Of course I have never been near the epicenter of a big one .  If you can't afford built in or free standing bookcases the brick and board work .

Ole's right , even those of us that have bookcases also have piles of books somewhere.

susan

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2007 05:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Don

Mana: 

Ole,

Where'bouts are you in Kentucky? I went to college there.

Don

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2007 05:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Don

Mana: 

How are those of you creating databases doing so? Are you just using Excel, or something fancier? A friend was kind enough to send a library database link to me recently, which I now of course can't locate.

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2007 05:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
ole

Mana: 

Don:

I'm not in Kentucky. I think Kentucky Orphan is.

I used MS Access and created my own categories. Believe your friend might have been referring to librarything.com. You have to register (free), but I think I read that after a certain, generous number of books, it expects to be paid. Check it out anyway.

If you are running XP, you might already have it. Depends on whether you have Professional or Home Office. I forget which one has it. When I got the most recent computer, my son installed the version without it. I had to reinstall the older version to get "access" to my document.

ole

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2007 10:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I built my data base using Microsoft Works data base when came with my computer.  I put in my own fields, author title a column to check when I read it and subject matter . 

I made a different data base for Civil War books, and then one for American History which includes all my other history books.  I have a world history data base too. 

I now make myself enter each new book as soon as I get it.  Still working on entering the books I already have.  Hopefully this will keep me from buying a second copy of a book.  In taking books off various shelves to do the data base I discovered some Oregon Trail Journals I bought a few years ago as I followed the Oregon Trail.  Got diverted from the Civil War for a while as I read these gems.  Women's Journals . 

Now to sell my mystery library and that will make alot more room.

Susan

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2007 06:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

Don- I live in Richmond Kentucky and attend school at EKU. I live about 3 miles from the civil war battlefield. The name of the university is deceptive though if you are unfamiliar with any parts of the state-it is really central kentucky, only about 20 miles from Lexington and the University of Kentucky.

Yes, it has been quite a long time since a earthquake hit Kentucky, but I suppose it is inevitable. There is a pretty famous fault line (is that the term?)that crosses the western part of the state. If my understanding is right, it could produce a very larger earthquake.

As to the method of book shelving using boards and bricks, I suppose that would indeed be very sturdy. But have you any idea the expense involved in such an endeavor? Lumber and brick cost? Geez, you have to remember I am a poor college student! I might as well make a book shelf from gold bricks, and use faberge eggs as bookends. Or, *gasp*, not buy beer for, geez, a solid week?LOL

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2007 09:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
ole

Mana: 

Stick with stacks. No beer? Get outa here.

ole

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2007 09:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Stack 'em on the floor, as stated by a previous poster. Nothing wrong with that. Our little collection probably has close to 2000 CW titles, 500 "current history" titles, Laurie's Sci-Fi collection of several hundred, and about 500 "Misc." titles. Bookcases for all of them are out of the question. There's just so much the floor joists can take...;)

Posted: Thu Dec 20th, 2007 12:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Ahhh the days of college and all of those mysterious milk crates that just appeared in the apartment. IIRC I had a pair of ammo cans supporting one shelf, milk crates supporting others. We had a regular library system. Not to mention two empty beer kegs(don't ask)supporting the hood from a roomates wrecked buick as our gaming/dining room table.

A friend had an old UPS truck and we would go around the dorm dumpsters and collect whatever we thought we could sell. Furniture, microwaves, bookshelves, textbooks etc. We were a regular recycling & reclamation service... 3-4 of us made some pretty good money doing that. Bought a lot of beer and paid some bills.

Posted: Thu Dec 20th, 2007 12:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
Don

Mana: 

Kentucky,

Yes, I know where EKU is. At least you're not a UK student (Go Cards!). I actually used the brick and plank method when I was in college because it is cheap. All you need is a few cinder blocks and couple of 1"x12" planks, depending on how high you want it.

I would have to agree with Ole, though -- if it's a choice between beer and bookcase material, stacks work just fine. Not, of course, that I'm advocating anything irresponsible in this politically correct world of ours....

Joe, I'm impressed, I have a hard time keeping up with a few hundred. 8^)

Posted: Thu Dec 20th, 2007 12:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Don,

Don't be overly impressed. It's rare that a day goes by that we don't get a book in the mail for review. Even though we tell publishers that we only review about one in every 20 we get in, they keep coming. We even make it clear that if you send us a book and we don't like it, we'll say so, and we really don't care if you don't send us anymore. They keep coming. I'm prejudiced, but I think it gives the few reviews we do more credibility.

It bothers me when I see bloggers/websites say that they have an agreement with publishers that if they don't like a book, they won't review it. I'm sure you've seen a few of them say that. If we get a book, and it su*ks, you can be sure we'll say so. But I digress from the subject....;) :)

Posted: Thu Dec 20th, 2007 02:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
ole

Mana: 

Bama,

Are you actually suggesting that the Orphan liberally forage for such materials?:shock:

ole

Posted: Thu Dec 20th, 2007 08:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

bama I had a travel coffee pot, an am /fm radio and a record player in my dorm room.  oh and a tensor light .  

I remember dittos .  When I started teaching we had ditto machines.  purple plague.  Get high just running off a class set of worksheets.  Also built up one arm muscle turning the crane to make them work. 

Now good thing I have cement slab floor or the books would long ago put too much weight on the floor boards.  Seems I remember recently my sister in law mumbling about too many books on the top floor in their house and the chance of the book cases ending up in the basement if they didn't reorganize the shelves and get rid of some of the books.  Susan

Last edited on Thu Dec 20th, 2007 12:21 pm by susansweet

Posted: Thu Dec 20th, 2007 11:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

1990 started college. I don't remember what a Microwave cost but I think we averaged selling them for $50 and those little mini fridges we got $30 or so apiece for them. Our bread and buter were the rich & the lazy. Rich enough not to care about their furnishings or too lazy to figure out how to haul them home.

We still had ditto machines in the USAF when I joined up and used them to copy supply forms at my first radar site.

Posted: Thu Dec 20th, 2007 07:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Bama, i started college in the fall of 63, but went away to school in 66.  I forgot the popcorn popper,  we had one of those in our dorm room too.  It was a different time.  One of the rules for women was they had to war dresses all of the time except on Saturday between 9 and 5.  Then you could war casual clothes , pants, jeans etc,.  but only til 5 PM.  Conservative College.  We bent that and every other rule of the school I am sure. 

I left campus as often as I could to go out into the real world.  I was in Los Angeles after all and lots of things were happening all around.

Susan

Current time is 04:14 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Other Civil War Talk > How Do You Store Your CW Books and Magazines?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4396 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 31 queries executed.