Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Reconstruction - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 12:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
booklover

Mana: 

Bama, can you please elaborate on what "abuses" southern white males had to endure during this time, and in doing so can you please provide numbers as to how many whites (who weren't Jewish and northern) were lynched compared to blacks? The south's lack of economic growth was, like the Civil War, a self-inflicted wound. I'm sorry, but the fact of the matter is the south's economy was based on slavery, the south chose to fight to keep that system alive, the south was defeated, and the era of reconstruction was necessary to ensure that blacks were treated fairly and equitably. If northern politicians can be blamed for anything is is for allowing the "redeemer" governments to come to power. Southern "leaders" fought economic development tooth and nail because they couldn't abide "yankees" spoiling what they viewed as God's green earth and their way of life in antebellum times. Jim Crow did not come about because of any "abuses" whites suffered but rather because southerners feared that blacks would realize basic human rights and did whatever they could to ensure subjugation would continue.

Good grief guys, how much longer is this going to go on?

Best
Rob

Last edited on Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 12:56 am by booklover

Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 02:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
ole

Mana: 

booklover:

I'm breathless and will be unable to post for a few days. I was composing my usual smartass post and you swung the maul. Whatever I had to say doesn't matter anymore.  You have captured the entirety.

My hat is off to you, sir.

ole

Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 02:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

It's important to realize that the South got off very light, historically speaking anyway. I often hear how the South has the poorest counties in the US. The truth is that's spilt evenly... Pine Ridge Reservation in SD has consistantly taken the cake for the poorest area in the US... average ANNUAL income of $700 in 1990.

A couple years ago someone posted the list of the 20 richest counties in the US, the old CS had 8 IIRC. I was told Florida counties, & Atlanta didn't count. Never could figure out that bit of self defeating attitude. What exactly is Southern? Who qualifies as Southern & why?

Miss Walker, by law my wife was illegitimate until w/in the last decade and my own marriage was only just legal in SC because of mixed race status. We're talking about mixed race marriages being still illegal in the last half of the 20th Century, not 19th! Desegregation laws were needed on the books in the last half of the 20th Century in SC for a very real reason.

My grandmother in law lives in the bottoms on Kingstree SC... the police don't go to that side of the tracks for a reason. And I readily admit I slept there w/ a loaded 9mm under my pillow. Until well into my lifetime the hope for a black man or woman getting any kind of justice in the SC justice system was a joke at best. Laws were not enforced w/ Lady justice being blind in SC, Alabama, or many other places in the old South. thank God things have changed.

Now is such a thing a direct descendent of the trainwreck that was Reconstruction? How many generations passed between the end of the CW & the Civil Rights movement?

The blame for the mess of the South... can be painted w/ a pretty broad brush and there is no way to point a finger one way or the other w/out pointing 3 fingers back at oneself.

But what we cannot fool ourselves w/ is how lucky the South was, yes I said lucky. A Mongol or Roman army dealing w/ a rebellious province would have left territory that was barren still. And as late as the 1800's.. look to India after the various "mutinies" or Spain after France... sweet God look at that and praise god the South never dealt w/ a French occupying army! Shall we talk about the Germans in Poland, or Russians... anywhere? That's what I'm talking about. The South never faced systematic rape, murder and torture... any who say otherwise are talking through their hat.

Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 03:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

booklover wrote: Good grief guys, how much longer is this going to go on?

Best
Rob

The rest of our lives at least... it's gone on 150+ w/out respite.  So long as either side can play the race card, put upon card or woe is me card it will remain.  The Klan in the South wasn't decapitated until, what the 1970's?  When it comes to cultural FUBAR's we Americans can screw it up w/ the best of them.

THat said compared w/ the rest of the world... by god we're absolute angels!

Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 05:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Wow, really good and interesting things unfolding here on the CWi Discussion Board so quickly that I just can't keep up, especially with Christmas coming so very quickly.  Am looking forward to catching up with it all in the lull between Christmas and New Years.

Just wanted to throw this in quickly - and I know that I mentioned it much earlier in the year on a different thread:

In 2006, I decided that I finally had to address Reconstruction.  So, I went to the Local University Library, which allows me to check out an unlimited number of books for six months at a time.  I carefully chose twelve books, and one of them was, GET THIS:  A History OF the history of Reconstruction.  It is such a dark, disturbing, complex, confused, and ugly time in American history - truly twisted-  that one author wrote a history on how it had been variously approached and studied, in conjunction with changing social attitudes and growing historical awareness, over the years,  for any novice trying to come to grips with it.

As for the other eleven books, well, I get a headache and grow depressed just thinking of it all.....

See Y'All on this thread after Christmas,

Joanie

Last edited on Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 05:53 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 02:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
ole

Mana: 

Yes, Joanie, it was an ugly time, and it is made uglier by misbegotten memories. Have yourself a merry little Christmas.

ole

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 06:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
39th Miss. Walker

Mana: 

The South was decimated by the effects of the war. Check the papers of the Freedman's Bureau. How many lands were given to blacks by the US Government? No the owners were not paid.
The State Governments were run by appointed governors and Military Districts were set up. The South was under Military rule. South Carolina was run by Governors from the North. Southern whites could not hold office. The vast majority of the SC Legislature was black and few were even literate.
Whites could not vote. Many were actually turned away by Federal forces at the polls. There was no self determination. In the mean time the states were being systemically looted and bankrupted by the appointed officials and the "elected" blacks. This is not to say all of the representatives in the State Legislature were corrupt. Some like Robert Smalls of Beaufort worked hard for his fellow man.
Holding office was a form of systematized looting.
Many plantations were sold at sheriff's sales for lack of payment of unfair taxes. Many times the land was sold even when the taxes were paid! Owners were evicted at gunpoint by local sheriffs.
Many plantation owners returned to their land only to find squatters, black and white. When they tried to evict them, the Freedman's Bureau, and military occupational authorities refused to allow the landowners to evict them. Many landowners were told that not only could they not evict the squatters but they had to supply certain amounts of foodstuffs and shelter to the squatters whether they worked or not. Many landowners were forced to allow their land to go fallow.
Many northern whites who came to the South after the war, became squatters and the rightful owners had to fight sometimes for years to have these carpetbaggers evicted.
In some cases they described themselves as "teachers" to the blacks and had the blacks working for them on some else's land!
In many areas hired labor was impossible to find. Land values plummeted, loans could not be had. There was no Federal help. Most plantations in coastal South Carolina were eventually bought by Northern Industrialists and run as private hunting preserves.
Is there any wonder that there was resentment lasting generations?
Blacks were allowed to set up State controlled local Militias, whites were not. Many whites were intimidated by these militias and in some cases run out of their communities.
Federal troops occupied most of the major cities.

The fall out from Reconstruction is even evident in the "superior" tone some of you with a northern bias are expressing.
You had better be looking in your own backyard for racial disparity, segregation and discrimination going on, even today.
The largest group of Klansmen isn't in the South, try the Mid-west. At one time even large numbers of US Congressmen and even members of the Supreme Court were members, many from the North!
What city has the highest foreclosure rate and evidence of predatory loan practices in the on going sub prime loan debacle? Not the South. Wayyyyy up North.
Face it racial discrimination occurs North and South. To try and blame the South for the evils of racial discrimination is to discriminate against the South due to someone's twisted bias.

Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 10:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Bama... those laws I mentioned were still being enforced in the last twenty years; I watched it happen and know those who it happened to.

The lynchings of White League fame and later Klan use were in the South. Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, the Carolinas etc. Though as i said you can't pointg a finger at someone w/out pointing three back at yourself. The last mass lynching in the US happened in Duluth MN.

Why was all this crap allowed to happen? Because the politicians lacked the intestinal fortitude to do anything about it. Tha Army should have been sent in and crushed the enemy, yes I said the enemy as the Klan, White League and the rest of their ilk were the enemy of everything decent a true step back to barbarism... and just about the worst cowards of US history. "Redemption" & Jim Crow should never have been allowed to happen.

Miss Walker, I challenge you to find the ten wealthiest men in the South of 1860; look for a similar list of 1870... many of the same names.

As I said Reconstruction was a trainwreck and the blame cannot be soley thrown at the foot of one side or the other because the South was every bit as complicit and corrupt as the worst northerner. Who to fix the blame on? I don't care, I say fix the problem.

The idea that Florida or Atlanta aren't southern is posh. They just aren't Confederate. Over the years I've heard all kinds of posh about how areas or people weren't southern; usually it ended up w/ them not being confederate or pro confederate and all too often w/ some because they were black.

I lived & worked in the South for the best part of a decade (I've been told that didn't count either as I was a soldier for the better part of that.) I'm no Southerner and the racism I saw there was largely extinct, there were still shadows... but they were just that shadows. But those shadows were frightening.

The connection between Reconstruction, Redemption and the rise of Jim Crow (defacto segregation) are very closely connected. The failure of the US to accomplish Reconstruction allowed Redemption and Jim Crow to rise and flourish and it is a shame upon the honor of the US that it was allowed to happen.

It's nearly Christmas; I'm going to pass on to better and brighter things like talking about the men I respect and want to honor; the one who actually did the fighting and dieing instead of the stay behinders who did there best to wreck this country.

Posted: Mon Dec 24th, 2007 02:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Speaking of race riots, check out the 1921 Tulsa Race Riot. Our "government" actually bombed Afro-American, US citizens.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Aug 22nd, 2008 11:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
5fish

Mana: 

Bama46 wrote: It has been said that the 2nd amendment is not about duck hunting.  Was reconstruction about rebuilding Atlanta, Decatur, Meridian, Jackson or other southern towns?.. or was it something else?

Look at the CSA from the end of the war until today... we were conquered, beaten into submission, required to rejoin a nation that said we never left, disenfranchised (sp.. Thank you Gen Jackson!) suffered under military rule... the only section of the country that ever was, and I believe have not gotten over it yet, and have never been allowed to .

I have spent my life listening to people telling me i should get over the war.. I tell them we got over the war years ago, but we will never get over reconstruction

What think you?

Ed

Bama,

Reconstruction horrors are nonthing but fallacy. At the end of Reconstruction, the Southern states were all under the control of X-confederates and the Freedman labour was back under white control.

These vile names Carpetbaggers, Scalawgs and Radicals are all vile names to label the people who were trying to bring progressive change to the south but were crushed the the enbitted whites of the redeemer movement.

Posted: Sat Aug 23rd, 2008 02:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Bama-

Are the two mutually exclusive?    You sound: "enbitted" to me.  ;)

Last edited on Sat Aug 23rd, 2008 02:28 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Sat Aug 23rd, 2008 03:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
5fish

Mana: 

No bama,

I know the Reconstruction period quite well and the Reconstruction interpretation of your's come from the Dunning school which basically describes those years from 1865 to 1877 as the darkest days in our nation history. It is a false interpretation for if you read about the period you see the white southerns complained about freedman and that x confederates were not allowed to vote. You do not read about starving people in the streets but you do read that allot of once rich people were now just average.

There was this redeemer movement that rose up of white x-confederates that slowly regain power in each state accusing the progressives of corruption and promising keep the whites safe from the Freedmen. So by 1877 redeemers control every state of the old confederacy and within years of 1877 the Supreme Court rules "separate but equal" and the "Jim Crow" laws come in full force by 1890's.

By 1877 the Freedmen labor was well under the control of the whites in the x-confederate states..

RAMPAGING OUT THE TRUTH....

Last edited on Sat Aug 23rd, 2008 06:16 pm by 5fish

Posted: Sat Aug 30th, 2008 06:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

as in many things absolutism usually misses the mark when trying to ascertain "THE TRUTH" regarding a morally sensitive and factually subjective issue such as reconstruction. Usually those who espouse their views as "THE TRUTH" are deeply entrenched as well as emotionally attached to a particularly polarized school of thought regarding the issue being discussed and are loath to appreciate any information that does not reinforce their argument. Just look at American politics for a prime example. My point being that when delving into a matter like reconstruction it is important to keep an open mind regarding the facts and to realize that the truth is usually somewhere in between the extremes. Otherwise it's just an adult version of "DID NOT...DID TOO...DID NOT...DID TOO!" and the result is nothing more than a well researched shouting match.

Posted: Sat Aug 30th, 2008 11:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
ole

Mana: 

Well researched?

ole

Current time is 05:59 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4473 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 35 queries executed.