Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Feeling just a bit blue - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jan 2nd, 2008 03:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
booklover

Mana: 

Hey all. Hope everyone's new year is going well. I'm feeling a bit blue because it was five years ago today that my mother lost an 18 month battle with colon cancer. Let me urge everyone here to use 2008 to get a colonoscopy (they give you great drugs when they do it!) and also, if your mother (or father) is still with you, give them a big hug.

Thanks for letting me indulge.

RIP Mom!

Best
Rob

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Jan 2nd, 2008 08:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Agree with the above concerning colonoscopy. However, there is a fecal test (fecal immunochemical test) looking for chemicals secreted by colon tumors which has just become available. This test is almost as accurate as the "silver bullet" in detecting abnormalities. This is a good test for those who don't have a family history of colon cancer. The only down side, if any, is that it's to be done yearly. Ask your doc about it. Bama, right you are, the prep is the hardest of all while the procedure is nothing at all and in addition you get DRUGS for it.

Dco C

Posted: Wed Jan 2nd, 2008 08:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ArtorBart

Mana: 

Hello, Rob & All...

I had been dreading the day I experienced my first colonoscopy, but it went off without a hitch. Very mild sedative/anaesthesia. Got a whole day off work [no heavy lifting, etc.]. Not a bit of pain. The drawback to the preparation is you get hungry for a short while and you get a bit chafed in a tender spot [squeeze the Charmin!].

Obviously, colon cancer is not "just for men," tho I think it has that widespread perception by the general public. Don't know why. From what I hear, everybody around age 50-55 should have the procedure. Good to hear of the advances in the screening test.

I was diagnosed with diverticulosis, the formation of pockets or indentations in the intestine lining; nothing serious, but could develop into diverticulitis, the inflamation/infection of those pockets should a seed or some such food remnant get lodged in one of those pockets. To avoid this complication, have lots of fiber in your daily diet!

No polyps or other growths seen.

Condolences to those here who have lost loved ones to CC and other nefarious diseases, especially in those cases where the victim has done nothing to bring on the malady.

Art in Tampa, FL

Last edited on Wed Jan 2nd, 2008 08:36 pm by ArtorBart

Posted: Wed Jan 2nd, 2008 11:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I will second all that was said here.  I lost a friend to Colon cancer just as I was getting to know him.  Going soon to have my yearly tests , the cancer I had 14 years ago this month was much higher up.  I had a scare last spring but it was nothing,  just a cyst or duct.  Now unlike the test for colon cancer the yearly test for breast cancer are painful.  but they only last a short time and are well worth the pain.  And as another friend pointed out to me recently breast cancer is not just a woman's cancer. 

Susan

Posted: Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 01:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

susansweet wrote:   And as another friend pointed out to me recently breast cancer is not just a woman's cancer. 

Susan

Believe it or not, recently  our family doctor thought Hubby might have a "lump' and sent him to have a mamogram that very day. I accompanied him to the mamogram place because he felt awkward and uncomfortable in a waiting room with only women.  Luck held with us and we turned out to be the only ones in the waiting room.

I wanted to go in with Hubby, but they wouldn't let me. He said it was really hard for the mamogram techs to try to do that procedure on him and took them a long time to try to do it, but they did tell him they get about nine men every month!!!! 

Fortunately for Hubby, the mamogram found nothing, but we did have quite a scare until we heard the results.

Posted: Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 11:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Glad to hear hubby was all clear Fan.  That period of time before I get the all clear each time is the hardest part of the year. 

Posted: Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 02:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

booklover, Bama .. My coldonences, I too lost a loved one to cancer , my grandpa of lung cancer (he did smoke). Seems everyone is effected in some way by the disease anymore it is a shame. And it is harder this time of year during the holidays. All we can do is look to God for strength and remember our loved ones in the happier times. Speaking of God for all of you that are prayer warriors their is a little girl in my church named stephanie, that has a tumor on her brain she is 10 , and is currently doing kemo . Her Father is in the national guard and was in Iraq but the red cross brought him home to be with the family. That is the ones that hurt the most the little ones.

Last edited on Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 02:27 pm by younglobo

Posted: Wed Apr 9th, 2008 02:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
starjet

Mana: 

Jumping in here. I lost my sister (age 31) from lymphoma and maligent meloma in 1974. My father from lung cancer and his mother from pancreatic cancer one week apart in 1985. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004. I seem to be the only one in the family to beat it. Thank God. I get a colonoscopy and endoscopy now  every other year per Dr's order but didn't before. Now my husband does also.  I worked for 3 Dr's and had more mammogram orders for men that you would think. I am so sorry for all of your losses. It isn't easy.

Starjet

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Apr 9th, 2008 04:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
starjet

Mana: 

Bama46  

That is so true. I worked off and on at a hospital on medical surgical floor so was around families that had to watch their loved ones suffer. Put 20 plus years in there and 3 more for the Dr's. Sometimes I actually felt sorry for the Dr's. as they worried about the patient so much.

Starjet

Posted: Wed Apr 9th, 2008 05:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

my mema has had breast cancer twice and ovarien cancer once and she has had cancer to remove all of them. thankfully she is still alive today but my aunt has breast cancer now and is currently taking radiation treatments.

Posted: Wed Apr 9th, 2008 05:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
ole

Mana: 

Cue the DNA, Dixie Girl. With that kind of history, you will need to be especially watchful. The "inherited" thing might be unfounded, but a sensible one doesn't juggle sharp knives, no matter how careful or skillful one is.

Not a single one of my antecedents had any kind of cancer. Nor any of my siblings except a brother who had a questionable spot on his nose. Nevertheless, we all do our cautionary "grams" and "scopies" just in case.

Life is exciting. It is also hard and frequently boring -- until you consider the alternative.

Just a thought.

ole

Posted: Wed Apr 9th, 2008 09:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Ole said

"Life is exciting. It is also hard and frequently boring -- until you consider the alternative"

How right you are sir! I was diagnosed with Rectal Cancer just 4 years ago and I went from diagnosis to Radiotherapy to pretty radical Surgery in short order but now three and a half years later and looking back I have to say that it was such a hectic time both for me and my family there was no time to consider the "alternative", that came much later.I find I am more nervous now going for my six monthly scans than I ever was at the time.
My outlook on life is now different, attitudes change, nothing much worries me these days and there is always someone worse off than yourself, so yes, Life is exciting , it can be hard and can be boring but it is a gift, enjoy it.

Posted: Wed Apr 9th, 2008 09:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

well my mema is my papa's second wife. he married her after him and his first wife divorced. my papa and mema never had any kids together but they both had kids from previous marriages so i just hope that i have a very slim chance of geting it

Posted: Thu Apr 10th, 2008 02:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Lincoln Fan

Mana: 

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones never to have been diagnosed with cancer so far. My mom is a survivor of two mastectomies and is a healthy 87. My dad, a smoker, died from lung cancer in 1984, however. Hope all you smokers out there consider quitting.

Posted: Thu Apr 10th, 2008 02:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Lincoln Fan

Mana: 

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones never to have been diagnosed with cancer so far. My mom is a survivor of two mastectomies and is a healthy 87. My dad, a smoker, died from lung cancer in 1984, however. Hope all you smokers out there consider quitting.

Posted: Thu Apr 10th, 2008 02:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Nobody in my family had ever had breast cancer .  I went in for my regular check up and was called to come in for a recheck.   Dec 7, 1993.  I was told I had breast cancer .  A lump on the underside of my right breast up against the breast bone.  No one could feel it . It showed up only in the mamogram and sonogram.  I had surgery Dec 27, and Chemo for Six months , Radiation for 6 weeks after that.  14 years latter I have had a clear record although this past year there was something showing on the left side.  It was checked out and not anything to worry about .  Was very scared for a period of time . 

I do not miss my check ups. 

Susan

Posted: Thu Apr 10th, 2008 02:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

I lost my mother to lung cancer last February. While I and my family feel the grief over her loss, we are grateful that she is no longer suffering from that terrible disease.  My sympathies and thought to all out there who have lost loved ones.

Posted: Thu Apr 10th, 2008 02:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
booklover

Mana: 

Not a day goes by that I don't think of that wonderful woman who gave life to me, both physically and intellectually. I have a picture right under my computer monitor of her and I taken on the day of my wedding. While she didn't always agree with the stands I took or the things I did, she never once tried to make me feel like I didn't matter or that my opinion never meant anything. She wasn't a saint, but she surely did some saintly things.

Best
Rob

Current time is 12:43 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2171 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 29 queries executed.