Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

English Newsome - Help Looking for an individual - Genealogy - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2008 07:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Roger

Mana: 

Having looked at the Newsome's listed on the Soldiers & Sailors System and wondered if any of them could be ancestors I came accross this chap.

Edmund Newsome 81st Illinois. Looking at the following sites it would appear he was English and from Yorkshire.

http://www.ilsos.gov/genealogy/CivilWarController

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=ancestorsearchresults.asp

I don't think he is an ancestor but interesting all the same and I thought I'd share it.

Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2008 08:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Roger-

Since this Edmund Newsome isn't an ancestor of yours, I won't spend a lot of time digging into his life. However, a few things just pop right out and you might be interested in seeing them.

First of all, he died in 1895. Here is where he ended up.

Edmund Newsome ( - 1895) - Find A Grave Memorial

It turns out that he was also an author:

He wrote about his experiences in the war (EXPERIENCE IN THE WAR OF THE GREAT REBELLION). He also wrote: HISTORICAL SKETCHES OF JACKSON COUNTY, IL. So, he was into history, too. :) You can even order the books if you are curious.

Jackson County Historical Society

Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2008 08:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Roger

Mana: 

That's very interesting, thank you. I might even get a copy of his experiences.
He might even be a good subject for a miniature figure.

Roger

Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2008 10:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Ok this is eerie... Newsome's Historical Seketches last summer in my research on the 51st & 52nd Illinois.

They say that paths cross in many ways... interesting to say the least.

IIRC the other title has a tintype of the man. Might be a worthwhile project; be pretty neat I think.

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2008 06:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Roger

Mana: 

I did a bit of digging on the net last night and from what I can find out Edmund Newsome was chritened only 20 miles from where my Newsome ancestors were living at the time. His father was called Benjamin, the same name as my son and a name although not uncommon crops up a few times in my own family tree.
He was in charge of Company B embarked on the steamer Southwester during the Red River expedition.

Roger

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2008 08:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Roger-

You're obviously interested in learning more about this guy now. So- how about one of my favorite sources of information- the obituary? This one is quite informative. It turns out that he was a prisoner of war for a time.

Jackson Co., Illinois Trails - Obituaries

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2008 09:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Cheers TexDef, that's very interesting.
There's a small typo or transcription error, Earisheaton should actually read Earlsheaton, which is in Dewsbury, Yorkshire.
Sounds like a nice little research project. I've done this kind of thing for Great War soldiers commemorated on local war memorials but not the ACW, yet:P.

Last edited on Thu Jan 10th, 2008 09:52 am by Roger

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2008 08:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Roger-

Since you're apparently going to do some more research on this Edmund Newsome, I'll do some of the legwork for you.

In 1860, Edmund was a school teacher in Carbondale, IL (He had been a teacher since 1850). His age on the Census is listed as 35, but since he was born on 01Dec26, he could only have been 34 in 1860. His wife, Mary, was also born in England, and is listed as being 39 years old. The value of their real property is listed as $400., and their personal property $200. Edmund's name is listed as: "Edward," for some reason. "Edward" is also shown as an alternate name on the CWSS.

There are no children listed on the Census, and there were none in the obituary. Probably, there were no children, or they died before Edmund did. I don't know yet when Mary died or where she is buried, but I might look into that later.

I'm sending this along now as sometimes my attempts to post are getting eaten. Better to risk losing a short posting than a lengthy one.  :)

CARBONDALE TWP 1860 PG 1

Last edited on Thu Jan 10th, 2008 10:05 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2008 08:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Thanks for another very interesting post.

Incidently my middle name is Edward:shock:

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2008 08:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
ole

Mana: 

Incidently my middle name is Edward.
Want to swap middle names? I'll give you Marlin for your Edward and throw in a few bucks to boot.

ole

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2008 09:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Roger-

I've done a little more poking around, and developed some more info on Edmund (some not consistent with the 1860 Census).

I looked for the Newsomes in the 1850 Census of Jackson County. I found only someone named Amos Newsom (No "e " on end). He is listed as a 19 year old laborer. Since Newsome is sometimes referred to as: "Newsom," this could possibly be a younger brother of Edmund. The other Newsomes apparently lived in another county at this time.

A look at Carbondale in 1855 shows no Newsomes, so Edmund lived elsewhere until 1856 at least.

A list of mortalities in the county in 1860 shows the deaths of two small children, John H. Newsome (Age 4) and Mary Newsome (Age 1). Since there weren't many Newsomes around, and since Edmund and Mary were married in 1856, its probable that these were their children. Cause of death is: "Brain fever."

1860 Mortality Index

Here is an amusing story of how Edmund and another teacher solved a dispute in 1852.

TEACHERS OF JACKSON COUNTY

Perhaps more interesting is the census of 1870 in Carbondale. It shows Edmund as a surveyor, along with wife Mary. There is apparantly now a nine year old son named: "Ben." :D You said previously that Edmund's father was Benjamin. Perhaps this one is named after him. I can only assume that son Ben died before Edmund (1895).

1870 Census of Carbondale, Jackson Co., IL

Note that the 1870 Census says that Mary was born in IL. The 1860 Census said that she was born in England. Her maiden name was apparently : "Phipher." I see no other families in the county with a name like that. Where she came from is still a puzzle to me. I have noticed that there were a number of families named: "Pipher" in other counties of Illinois. So, that might have been her name.

I have looked into probate records. Edmund's estate was probated in 1896. The executor was not his wife, so I must assume that she died before then.

N PROBATES AT IRAD

I don't see Newsomes in Carbondale in 1900. They might all have been deceased by then. More work will be needed before my assumptions can be proven- or disproven.

Last edited on Thu Jan 10th, 2008 10:33 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2008 09:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Ole-

Were you given the middle name: "Marlin" in honor of Marlin Perkins? ;)

Marlin Perkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember that I enjoyed his TV program, "Wild Kingdom." ("While Jim wrestles the man-eating crocodile, I'll hide in the bushes downstream.")

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2008 11:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
ole

Mana: 

When I was born, Texas, there was no TV. Hence, no Marlin Perkins. Have no idea where mother came up with the name. I have, however, never forgiven her. I can suppose that the initial, "M" was required. And she did avert efforts to have me named "ole."

Guess I shouldn't complain. My brothers' middle names are Melvin, Jerome and Oliver. Sisters are Gertrude, Louise, and Jean.

ike (missed the home key) I can even sign of as jeb on another board.

Last edited on Thu Jan 10th, 2008 11:46 pm by ole

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2008 11:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Ole-

Well, if Marlin Perkins was too recent a historical figure to inspire your mother, maybe it was John M. Marlin who did.  :cool:

Marlin Firearms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2008 01:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
ole

Mana: 

Don't fly, Texas. Mom didn't know a Marlin from an H&R. For that matter, neither did I. We were simply instructed that if we pointed the exit end at anything outside of a stump or a radget, the Dad would beat you until you wished you were dead. Actually, that almost never happened -- just the idea that you might make him angry was quite enough. And mom wasn't any different. She'd tell on you in a heartbeat. "Wait till your father gets home" has a very special meaning.

He was a little guy. When I was 12, I was bigger than him. But he was scary. A story. He was in ICU and figured he'd get up to go pee. I told him to stay in bed and wait for the nurse. He looked at me like I was freakin' insolent and perhaps out of my mind. I waited for the nurse. He'd listen to her.

There was a real man. Wish I'd have seen that when he was still with us.

ole

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2008 02:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Ole-

You've reminded me of something that Mark Twain said. It was something like: "When I was 18, I thought my father was stupid. But by the time I was 21, I was surprised by how much the old man had learned in three years."

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2008 02:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
ole

Mana: 

Texas. Perzacltly. The old man knew absolutely nothing about anything. And then I became an old man and understood.

ole

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2008 05:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Roger

Mana: 

"A little more poking round" Amazing!! You obviously have done this kind of thing before TexDef and know where to look:) 

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2008 05:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Roger

Mana: 

ole wrote: Incidently my middle name is Edward.
Want to swap middle names? I'll give you Marlin for your Edward and throw in a few bucks to boot.

ole

ole, Marlin would be appropriate given my line of work, how much you going to throw in:D

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2008 05:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
David White

Mana: 

Ole was probably named for the Texas town because his mom was smart and wished she was a Texan ;)

Current time is 02:31 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4351 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 27 queries executed.