Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Reverend King - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jan 22nd, 2008 02:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

I agree that the Reverend King was an exceptional individual who shaped afro-american history by his non violent preaching and protests. However, I do believe that his contributions were only secondary to those of Frederick Douglas. Imagine, how could a black individual, a former slave, gain entry to the White House, other than as a servant, and visit with the president in the 1860's. Who had influence enough to engage Lincoln to initiate earth shattering policies at the time - emancipation proclamation, blacks in the military.

Doc C

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 07:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Doc C .. Great point had never thought of that .

One of the great men in our history Reverend King RIP

Posted: Sat Mar 28th, 2009 04:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
5fish

Mana: 

Doc C wrote: I agree that the Reverend King was an exceptional individual who shaped afro-american history by his non violent preaching and protests. However, I do believe that his contributions were only secondary to those of Frederick Douglas. Imagine, how could a black individual, a former slave, gain entry to the White House, other than as a servant, and visit with the president in the 1860's. Who had influence enough to engage Lincoln to initiate earth shattering policies at the time - emancipation proclamation, blacks in the military.

Doc C

Doc C,

Could one say Mr. Douglas started the processes but it was Mr. King's that led the final efforts to bring equality too all..... Mr Douglas cracked the walls of injustice but it was Mr. King who smashed through the final walls of injustice bring forth a knew meaning to those few word...."All men are created equal"

A few Musing...

Posted: Sat Mar 28th, 2009 05:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

I'm not demeaning Rev. Kings role in combating injustice (he did pay the ultimate price) but I think he overshadowed others who perhaps took just as important role in this fight, i.e. Rev. Shuttlesworth in Birmingham. A good book on Rev. Kings role in the civil rights movement and 60's Birmingham is- Carry Me Home By Diane McWhorter.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Mar 28th, 2009 06:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Doc - If you have not made it to the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, it should be very high on your "must visit" list. It is an awesome, awesome place.

Posted: Sat Mar 28th, 2009 07:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

There's a rumor floating around my neck of the woods that the road from Easton to St. Michaels, MD will be named in honor of Frederick Douglas. St. Michaels is one of the locations which Douglas lived as a slave. I live just off this road.

Doc C

Current time is 09:03 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3578 seconds (20% database + 80% PHP). 28 queries executed.