Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

What will happen to your CW books... - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jan 29th, 2008 02:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
booklover

Mana: 

I've been going through my books putting them onto my computer and figuring replacement costs should I lose them. A while back, on another board where I post, I asked people what they planned to do with their Civil War books once they pass on. While I don't have a massive library, I do probably have about 250 books or so (and am aquiring more every week). What I lack in quantity, however, I believe I make up for in quality. So have any of you given much thought as to what you plan to do with your collection when you can no longer read them?

I can't find anyone in my family who wants them, and I doubt my alma mater would either. I had thought about my local library, but I doubt they have the staff that would allow them to take care of them. Plus, I wouldn't want them to loan them out, rather requiring users (which I would suspect would be high school students, etc.). I don't want them to end up in a garage sale somewhere either, because some of them hold a strong sentimental attachment.

My research papers on Everton Conger will go to the local historical society, as I think they would take care of them and make them available to researchers. But they aren't equipped to handle the number of books I imagine I will have when my time comes (unless that time is after I write this).

So, have any of you given this any thought?

Best
Rob

Posted: Tue Jan 29th, 2008 02:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
aphill
Lee's forgotten general

Mana: 

I have a set of print Official Records and quite a collection of books, mainly on the Eastern theater, but covering nearly all aspects of the War.  Some are fairly rare.

I recently wrote my will.  I don't have much.  My books are one of my major possessions.

My best friend is a Civil War student too, so I am offering him first crack at the books. Then I will offer my family the next crack at them. I imagine the ones I consider special, they (both my friend and family) would too.  The rest, I am leaving to the local library to do as they wish with them.  If they choose not to loan them out or they are duplicates, I assume they will sell them which raises money for the library system -- which in my opinon is a good cause.  It doesn't really bother me as to what precisely happens to them ... I would just like them to hopefully be of benefit to someone, somehow, but the exact way they benefit isn't really that important to me personally.  And after all, it's not like I can take them all with me. 

- Jenny

Posted: Tue Jan 29th, 2008 03:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

It is good that you are thinking of this, Booklover.

I have thought of this, myself.

The best thing that I've been able to come up with is to explain to my teenage daughter about my collection, and how the valuable ones are marked as valuable, and simply to do her best, if she doesn't share my interest, to see that they are maintained until they get someplace where they are appreciated.  If she can auction them to pay for something that interests her the way that they interested me, all the more power to her!

As Jenny/aphill said, you can't take them with you.

Also, ultimately, they ARE meant to be read (or collected, either way is fine, I'm sure).

I think that if the ones of a lessor value went to the local (very rural, under-stocked) library, that would be delightful!  I LOVE the idea of them randomly fueling someone else's interest.

JoanieReb

Posted: Tue Jan 29th, 2008 04:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Eventually my books will be donated to the Drum Barracks Civil War Museuem here in Wilmington California .  You all have heard me talking about the Drum all the time.  We have received several libraries already from other people.  I have helped sort them and place them on the shelf.  The books we have that are duplicate copies we decide which is the best copy and keep the others are sold to buy more books for the library.

Susan

Posted: Tue Jan 29th, 2008 08:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
ole

Mana: 

Have been nudging Dear One closer to the idea that my library is not merely there to annoy her. As the children could care less, it remains an asset that she might exploit to, at least, pay for the funeral. (I've said that the cheapest possible planting or incineration would be preferable to a traditional planting, but she is Italian -- no, make that Sicilian -- and must have a stone that can be visited, and decorated, and eventually forgotten.)

Have a local guy who's interested in the entire collection of 700 CW books. But he's likely to expire before I do. And, when the time comes for me to assume room temperature, I have only one friend who might help her dispose of them advantageously, and I might outlast him, as well.

Does anyone know a source who will bid (if necessary, sight unseen) on a passel of books? And be fair about it? In other words, someone to liquidate an asset that won't be cashed in before the end of my lifetime, and won't be consigned to Amvets?

ole

(anyone want to buy a first edition of Grant's Memoirs in almost good condition? Or Lee's Lieutenants, or Gideon Welles' Diary, or Freeman's bio of Lee?)

Posted: Wed Jan 30th, 2008 01:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
booklover

Mana: 

Just got to looking at my post and I realize I didn't finish one thought. I had meant to say that I would want them to stay in the library because I could imagine that high school students would use them for papers or class assignments, etc., and I don't want to take the chance that they could be lost or damaged. Some of these books (including the complete set of Lincoln's collected works) were bought with money left to me by my mother, so they hold extra-special value.

My goal in collecting these types of books is to first supplement the projects I'm working on, then to get books I'm interested in reading and then representative books for just about every aspect of the war. I only look for two or three on a particular battle just because the military aspects don't interest me as much as the social and the political. An exception to this is Gettysburg, where I have probably about 10 or 12 (not because of it's alleged importance but because it was the first CW battlefield I ever visited).

Books on Lincoln, which I separate out of the books on the war per se, are a little different. Not only do I buy books that are current but I am also trying to get the titles I've read and used when I was in college and since then. Alibris is a wonderful way to accomplish that.

I also collect books on Civil War historians and historiography. I have a biography of Douglas Southall Freeman, one on Allan Nevins, one on Jim Bishop, two on Shelby Foote and one on Bruce Catton.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I do try to collect some general titles, most fit into a narrow path that I wonder if it would be of interest to the "average" reader. Will there be anyone out there interested in "The Civil War as a Theological Crisis" or "A Manual of Military Surgery" as opposed to "Battle Cry of Freedom" or Foote's trilogy?

By the way, Ole, how much do you want for the Gideon Welles diary?

Best
Rob

Posted: Wed Jan 30th, 2008 03:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
David White

Mana: 

My boys are interested in history so hopefully they will want my books but good grief I have a lot and the rib is threatening to buy another dog if I don't stop buying books. Looks like I'll be getting a second pooch.

Just like Ole I have a first edition of Grant's memoirs that were actually once owned by a veteran of the war. I bought them from a woman who became a widow too early and her husband had about 50 books she sold to me for $1 a book in the early 70s. I told her that was much too little for what she was selling me but she said she had no use for them and was just glad someone who would be happy to have them was buying them. It was kind of sad.

Posted: Wed Jan 30th, 2008 04:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
ole

Mana: 

That must be a classical definition of "mixed emotions" David. "Golly, ma'am, you're giving them away (snicker,  giggle). Thank you."  But she had the right attitude about books: they're only useful if someone is going to read them.

Recently gave a teen-aged niece (who does read history) my precious complete set of Will and Ariel Durant's ponderous tomes. As well as another box of assorted, nonCW, history books. Although it was like giving away a much adored molar, I wasn't reading them and would likely never get around to reading them; they now have a home wherein someone might get some use from them.

Booklover: I'll get back to you on Welles' Diaries.

ole

Posted: Wed Jan 30th, 2008 04:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ole

Mana: 

Ever notice that most people who read treat books like their children? Do not abuse. Enjoy. Send them off when they're finished.

ole

Current time is 01:46 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3618 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.