Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Best War Movie Ever - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 08:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

While not in contention for "best war movie", there is one I'd like to recommend. The title is "Jungle Fighters" (but I think the US-release was titled "The Long and The Short and The Tall"). It starred, among others, Richard Todd, Richard Harris, a very young David McCallum, and Laurence Harvey (who played Travis in Joh Wayne's "The Alamo").  The plot involves a British patrol somewhere in the Malaya-Burma theatre that captures a Japanese soldier. The character development of the British soldiers builds the suspense as they conflict over what to do with the prisoner. I won't reveal the ending but, if you are a serious fan of WWII movies, this is worth seeing.

And, as for good Civil War movies, how about Alvarez Kelly??? Not the best, but a good one. 

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 08:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

"Laurel & Hardy Join the French Forgeign Legion"

Ok, ok, so I'm a smart alleck!!

How about:

"The Blue Max"

"Patton"

"Tora Tora Tora"

"Sink the Bismark"

"The Rough Riders"

"A Walk in the Sun"

"Ride With the Devil"

"Appocolypse Now"

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 08:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Band of Brothers (far better than Saving Private Ryan IMO), We Were Soldiers, Das Boot all are truly classic.

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 08:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
ashbel

Mana: 

"Horse Soldiers" is a classic of the old style movie.  "Mindless entertainment" as Ole says sums it up pretty well.  It is historically inaccurate, has terrible battle scenes and does not much of a plot.

However, it does have two things going for it: 1. John Wayne and 2. The story is somewhat along the lines of "Grierson's Raid."  Travelling the "Grierson's Raid" route is my next Civil War adventure - La Grange, TN to Baton Rouge, LA. 

For a more serious vote I sure liked Glory and Red Badge of Courage.  Gettysburg was good but I did not care much for Gods and Generals.  I own Gods and Generals on DVD. I think I will watch it again tonight and give it another chance.

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 09:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

One thing I especially liked about "The Horse Soldiers" was the friction between Maj Kendall (William Holden) and Col Marlowe (Wayne). Also the scene where Wayne decks the confederate deserters is a classic!!!

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 09:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Growing up if you had asked me about war movies I would have said Back to Bataan, They were Expendable, Cry Havoc, and Thirty Seconds over Tokyo. I think I saw each of these movies every time they were on tv growing up.  All were made in the 40's during the war and were basically gung ho support the war movies.  Cry Havoc was about women in war.    When I went to the show in the 50's I would have said Sabre Jet or Men of the Fighting Lady.  Then I saw the Longest Day at Carthy Circle in Los Angeles.  Field trip for one of my high school groups I think.   I was amazed that everyone spoke the language they actually would have spoken. 

Last modern war movie I saw was Platoon .  I almost broke my boyfriends hand I was twitching so much .  The date flashed on the screen at one point was the date a good college friend had been killed. 

Now I only watch Civil War or Western battles. The others are too close to home.

War films. . . Diary of Anne Frank

Susan

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 09:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

one of my favs no one has mentioned  Memphis Belle have seen it a million times and still gives me chills trying to get them boys home.

Another abscure one is The Blue and the Grey Mini series , I know it is hokey but it started my interest in civil war my history teacher Mr. Britt in the 8th grade kicked off a semester on the civil war by showing it, so it hold a special spot started me on my civil war journey.

Best WW2 is Band of brothers anyone watch it on history channel this weekend and catch the commericals for the 2 new books one by LT. winters and another by two of the line officers .

C I didnt watch NASCAR all weekend

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 10:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Always pisses me off to see the scene with the 2 deserters. Only thing that lessens the insult is that it's Struther Martin.

Doc C

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 11:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

Too many to list!

But am kinda shocked that no one mentioned the WWI film "All quiet on the western front"

Last edited on Mon Feb 11th, 2008 11:45 pm by Steven Cone

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 11:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I sure am glad to see you back on the board, Steven! It's been awhile, and you've been missed.

"All Quiet" is one of the classics I've heard about forever, and never seen.

Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2008 12:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Steven

Great pick cuz

Doc C

Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2008 01:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Can I change my mind again?

"Zulu."

ole

Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2008 07:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I have to add the two tv series MASH and  China Beach.   I never missed either one . While not a movie they were great War shows. 

Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2008 07:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Don't know why, but I always loved an old flick called "Pork Chop Hill". Also "Sgt. York". And anything with Audie Murphy...

Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2008 09:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

The lord of the rings:the two towers is an outstanding war movie. The battle of helms deep was superbly shot. Now, the Urak-hai using crossbows at that battle was a bit farbish, mind you, and there were actually no elves present at that battle, but the overall affect I think was spot on to what actually happened there.

On a more somber note, we couldn't watch war movies with my grandfather around. Dad said he would just hear the sound of a German MG from the television, and he would have to leave the room to get away from it. Like most WW2 combat vets he never really talked about it, but moments like that just illustrate the deep impact it really had day to day.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but one story especially comes to mind. My dad was a teenager when my grandfather told him to burn a cows corpse. "This stinks" my dad complained. "This stinks? No what STINKS is when you're 20 feet away from your buddy and you can hear him screaming for help but you can't get to him beacuse the Germans have you pinned down, and by the time you get to where he is he's been dead for 2 days. THAT STINKS, YOU DON'T KNOW what STINKS". Needless to say dad did the job with no more complaining. This is only one of three "war stories" my grandfather ever told his children. And as bad as this one was at making one feel uncomforatable, the other two are much much worse.

Big difference between movies (no matter how realistic), and reality...

Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2008 10:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

That was really interesting about your grandfather, KO. I, for one, would like to hear the other two stories. It's good to hear the realities from the vets.

Posted: Wed Feb 13th, 2008 05:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

Thank you Cuz..

Ole

Zulu  is one of my fav.    Watching it as I type lol .

"Cross of Iron" is good as well   

Btw anyone see a movie  thats around the same time fram of Zulu

Where the natives capture  a british sholdier i think it is and the then they strip him down to nothing  and then chase him across the  the plains?  I can think of the name of it

Last edited on Wed Feb 13th, 2008 05:27 am by Steven Cone

Posted: Wed Feb 13th, 2008 06:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

Btw anyone see a movie  thats around the same time fram of Zulu 
Where the natives capture  a british sholdier i think it is and the then they strip him down to nothing  and then chase him across the  the plains?  I can think of the name of it

A stab in the dark, it has been forever since I saw it, but could it be 'The man who would be king" based on the Rudyard Kipling short story. It sounds similar to what I remember, Michael Cain and Sean Connery star in it as 2 ex British soldiers? It took place in Afghanistan though I think...

Posted: Wed Feb 13th, 2008 06:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Kentucy_Orphan-

I believe that the movie you're referring to was called: "The Naked Prey" (1966)starring Cornell Wilde. In that movie, he was a guide on an African safari who was captured and given the: "Chance of the lion" for survival.

According to this source, it was based on an actual event in America involving a trapper in Wyoming being pursued by Blackfoot Indians.

Cornel Wilde - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Current time is 02:03 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4642 seconds (22% database + 78% PHP). 27 queries executed.