Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Kennedy Assassination - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2008 09:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
1stsgtmacmillan

Mana: 

I don't know where the conspiracy starts and the insanity ends with it (The Kennedy assassination) I have not read Posner's book however I have read the Warren commission report andsevseral other works on the crime.

Let me start by saying that I believe Oswald was involved but I don't believe he was the shooter. I think he was , as he said, a patsy although not an entirely innocent one either by his design or someone elses, I don't know.

Item: The Mannlicher-Carcano is a notoriously unreliable weapon and most marksmen wouldn't choose it.

Item: The Dallas police initially identified the weapon as a 7.65mm Mauser.  A rank layman might mistake a carcano for a Mauser but the police certainly wouldn't and the Mannlicher-Carcano was a 6.5 milimeter. Even in the heat of the moment, I find it  hard to fathom a veteran police detctive (more than one actually) making that mistake.

Item: Oswald was a poor shot. He had the nick name of "Sh*tbird" in the MArine Corp because he was such a poor shot.

Item: Oswald had some sort of contact with both U.S. and Soviet intelligence sources even if only a mild passing association. his wife was the niece of an official in the MVD and he was able to get in and out of the Soviet Union with amazing speed. he actually had a secret clearence and dealt with radar plots for U-2 aircraft while stationed at Atsugi in Japan. When he defected to the USSR he told the CIA station chief inthe Embassy at Moscow that he had secrets he was going to give the Soviets. Two years later, he and his wive were grtanted exit visas something that almost never happened and was just as quickly allowed to return by Amerian authorities without being debriefed or followed. Yet nno one thought to place him under surveilence while Kennedy was in DAllas. Strange to say the least.

Having said all of that I believe that the issue was not thouroughly investigated. Keep in mind that Oswald never went to trial and therefore under our law is still innocent of the charges, I would ask, if there was no conspiracy why didn't the Secret Service let the Dallas coroner do the autopsy as Texas law required?

The film JFK was trash as far as having any historical basis. Unfortunately Stone tried to throw in every conspiracy theory out there in to the mix. How much of a"nobody" was Oswald? The bottom line is thatthere are too many question for me to accept that Oswald did this on his own hook. Neil

Posted: Mon May 5th, 2008 05:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
David White

Mana: 

1st Sgt:

You post a statement that almost precludes it being a conspiracy. If the M-C was so unreliable why would the conspirators pick it? But as I said earlier, I've fired it and it is not unreliable except in Olvier Stone movies and certain conspiracy books. Maybe not the best rifle in the world but not a hunk of junk as the conspiracy nuts like to say.

Oswald was only a poor shot in the Oliver Stone movie, if you look at his real record he was an average to above average shooter and we wasn't shooting at a target as far away as a target on a Marine Corps shooting range on 11/22/63.

It was the arrogance of the Federal government toward local officials and laws that kept Kennedy form having an autopsy in Texas, not a conspiracy. If you believe that is evidence of a conspiracy, than you have to believe it was an inside government job and if you blieve that, you are way out on the fringe with old Oliver.

Posted: Mon May 5th, 2008 06:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
1stsgtmacmillan

Mana: 

I don't believe the government was involved but I believe they covered it up.

I bellieve the Carcano was a throw away. I'm not saying Oswald was not involved, I'm saying others were as well. Having said that, Let me also state that like JAck the Ripper's identity, we may never know the truth of the matter. Why would the DAllas detectives mistake it for a Mauser. I just don't buy the Warren Commision's theory. Kindest regards, Neil

Posted: Mon May 5th, 2008 09:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
David White

Mana: 

Why would the DAllas detectives mistake it for a Mauser.

Because the initial detectives didn't know the differences between the two that are similar in appearance. Kind of like mistaking a PT Cruiser for an HHR, although I'll give you the differences in the gun are more pronounced than the ugly little vehicles. Below is a picture from one of the conspiracy sites where they take the position you are taking. But frankly the two rifles are similar in appearance and the differences are sort of subtle if you are not a big gun fanatic. The Dallas police changed their tune shortly after mistakingly identifying it as a Mauser one time.

Posted: Tue May 6th, 2008 05:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
1stsgtmacmillan

Mana: 

The do bear a resemblence. Thanks, Neil

Current time is 05:11 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1498 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 25 queries executed.