Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Nathan Bedford Forest - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 01:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

do any of yall know any good books on Nathan Bedford Forest? i have been wanting to do a bit of research on him but i cant find anything on him.

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 02:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Here's a good one, Dixie Girl.

That Devil Forrest: Life of General Nathan Bedford Forrest

The book is written by John Allan Wyeth. Wyeth wrote this book in 1899. During the war he was a private in the Confederate infantry, but became a surgeon after the war. As you read this book you will be able to tell that Wyeth is a big admirer of Forrest.

The book is chock full of information. It is based on first hand accounts by those who knew Forrest told to Wyeth and research he did of writings about Forrest.  Reading this book will teach you much about Forrest and about the Civil War.

I bought my copy at amazon.com.  It sells for $22.95, but you may be able to find it used for cheaper. The print is very small. I hope you have good eyes.

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2008 04:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
David White

Mana: 

More modern try Brian Steel Wills A Battle from the Start and Jack Hurst's book titled for the man.

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 02:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I'm going to second the suggestion for Wills work.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 02:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

thank yall for the help. ive been thinkin about doing a report on him for school and i just cant seem to find anything on Forrest

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 02:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Dixie Girl, if you are just doing a report on Forrest (and not a Master's thesis), the book I suggested for you is far too comprehensive and would take too long to read and digest into a high school report. Also the language is quite old-fashioned for our times. 

That said, if you hope to be a historian, reading a book such as the one I described would be very beneficial because much of the research you will be doing with primary sources will be written and spelled in the archaic language of the times you are researching. You might as well expose yourself to that type of writing to discover if you really want to spend hours and years of your life reading such material.

Another benefit of reading Wyeth is that he is undisquished in his admiration of Forrest. It is an instructive exercise to read the book with that in mind then follow that with a book that is reputed to be more objective, one that portrays both Forrest's considerable talents and his flaws. No general was perfect, not even Lee or Grant.

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 03:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

well its mainly for a report but mostley for my enjoyment

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2008 10:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

98% of my reports turn out to be a master thesis. cant help it but im a perfectionist and i will not turn in something that is less that 15 pages long. it also has to be single spaced, typed, no spelling errors, pictures (that usually get put on a piece of poster board so i have more room for typed work.) all correct dates, names, places, and so on.

i cant help it but i have to have everything on a paper i turn in completely and totally right. im not a major perfectionist in anything else really.

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 12:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Those habits of dilligence and thoroughness will carry you far in life.

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2008 03:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

My senior research class in American history taught me several valuable lessons. 

1. always know who wrote what you are reading .  We were given the assignment to read articles on various subjects and discuss the conclusions.  Then the professor would tell us about the authors and asked if that changed our opinion of the article.  Many times it did.

2.  We were required to write a Senior Thesis.  It could not be any longer than I believe ten pages.  We had to narrow our subject down to to be very specific.   It is much easier to write 20 -30 page papers than to narrow a subject to ten pages and cover it well.   I wrote huge papers in high school never less that 30 pages .  This paper was the hardest paper I ever wrote, and the best.   I am still proud of it today.

None of my papers then were about the Civil War.  I kept writing about the migrant workers from Oklahoma and Grapes of Wrath.  I wrote the first paper in Freshman English Okies in California .  It had everything but the kitchen sink.  By the time I was in Senior Research my paper was Migrant Labor Camps in California 1932-34.  Very narrow subject. 

Last paper I wrote was about 20 years ago when I got my masters in reading.  Education in Sparta.  Sadly I don't have it . Professor kept the papers and my copy was on a floppy disc for an Apple 2E.  My papers on Gifted Education were also on the same disc.  Would have liked to have the Sparta one.

Susan

Current time is 03:30 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2009 seconds (20% database + 80% PHP). 28 queries executed.