Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Gettysburg Travel - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 27th, 2008 11:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
wanderson

Mana: 

Hello, I'm making my first trip to Gettysburg in late April.  (We'll also have time to check out Harper's Ferry and Antietam.)  I'm looking for advice as to where to stay and what is must-see.  We'll have 2 full days for Gettysburg.  We're planning on hiring a guide.

Many thanks!

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Feb 28th, 2008 06:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I stayed at that motel a few years ago Bama.  It is the oldest Quality Inn in America they told me at the time.  Prices must have gone up as it was reasonable four years ago.  Sorry to hear it isn't anymore as I loved my room. 

susan

Posted: Thu Feb 28th, 2008 01:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
connyankee

Mana: 

Since my wife does not share the same entusiasm as I for civil war era studies and travel, I usually go it alone and am mostly a Motel-6 guy needing only a place to crash for the night.  The one exception was last May when we did an over-nighter at Gettysburg on the way home from the Carolinas.

We booked the Doubleday Inn B&B.  It's expensive and you should call way ahead for arrangements, but, considering the crowds that collect in GB during the summer months, this is one of the better times of the year to visit.  Our accommodations were excellent and our hosts, Todd and Christine, were terrific.  We were treated, on a Saturday night, to a two-hour shoot-the-breeze with Charlie, a Licensed Battlefield Guide, in their cozy parlor.  At night, you could hear a pin drop because it was a quiet environment away from the highways.   Being right in the heart of the battlefield was pretty awesome.

Unfortunately for us, it turned out to be a disaster of sorts for my wife.  It began with something she ate at O'Rork's and she wound up being sick all night.  She had the meatloaf dinner there.  I had corned beef and cabbage and a few Yuenglings and felt fine - all I did was pass some south backward winds, while she got sick.  The other thing was that a few of the guests were serious-minded paranormals.  Every conversation that took place during our stay turned to the supernatural.  They even had a few movie cameras going outside, trying to capture orbs in the vicinity of what is known locally as Iverson's Pits.  At first, I found this pretty amusing but after a while it was generally annoying.  It is not my intention to slam the establishments that I mentioned here (or the people who visit them) - they've both been around for a long time and I would still recommend them.  It's just a shame that our particular circumstances at this particular time made for a bad experience.  It was a missed opportunity for my wife to enjoy a battlefield visit.

It even rained like hell the next day, making a fitting ending to our short stay.  We did get to LRT and got a view of the battlefield that I, and many of you, have never seen before - the resuts of the NPS recent work of clearing trees.  I was shocked, at first, at the sight.  Also caught a glimpse of the new barn - the new Visitor Center, and look forward to visit  that facility very soon now.

Regards,

connyankee

Posted: Thu Feb 28th, 2008 02:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Sorry to hear of the rate change , I liked that place.  Glad you saved the night at the headquarters .  I loved it that you get in free to the museum with the price of the room.  Scary when you tell me where you were sitting and I know exactly where you were. 

I like motels that have drive up in front of your room and park.  Makes it easier for me as a single woman going in and out of my room.  Easier to get my things into the room and I feel safer not having to go so far from the car to the room.  Not many of these places left .  Everyone is building the big inside corridor hotels now.  Park in a big lot and get your things into a room across the parking lot and up an elevator. 

Susan

Posted: Thu Feb 28th, 2008 03:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

When we go to the Civil War Institutue, which begins the last week in June, we arrive a day early and stay one night at the Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters. I don't know what you consider to be significant, but we're paying $118 per night. That seems to be in keeping with most places, and it doesn't seem bad to me considering it's peak season. If you go in December, the same room is $71. I think the same room is $99 in April. Good luck.

The Appalachian Brewing Company is right next door and features a very good restaurant, not to mention the beers and ales.

My wife and I have stayed at the Doubleday Inn B&B, the Brafferton Inn, the Battlefield B&B and the Brickhouse Inn B&B, and have enjoyed them all. We really like the Brickhouse, even though it's on Baltimore Street right in the heart of town, just a few blocks from the Visitors' Center. The windows are double-paned and the rooms are surprisingly quiet at night. Plus, you get a very good breakfast. Rooms start at $109.

You can also go out on the York Pike, which is heavily developed and features a ton of hotels and motels. They might be cheaper, but you pay the price for having to drive through the congestion to get to where you want to go.

And by all means, hire a battlefield guide. No mater how much you know about the battle, the guides will enhance your experience.

Current time is 09:45 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1567 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 29 queries executed.