Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

"10,000 BC"---Prehistory - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 12:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

There is a movie showing now called "10,000 BC".  Last week it was the number one film in viewers, earning a respectable $35-million.

Hubby and I went to see it. It has mind-blowing computer graphics. You actually can feel how it would be to be caught in a mammoth elephant stampede.

I will say nothing more about this film except to recommend it to those who are experts in prehistory and ancient history. You can enjoy the sport of discoverying all the historical errors in this film especially the ones that are so improbable as to make the drama seem more like a comedy.

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 12:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Thanks Fan, I had wondered from the previews what in the world was going on .  I think it would be a hoot to see to point out all the historical mistakes.  lol. 

Susan

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 01:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

The movie is a hoot. The juxtapositioning of history makes for some funny fantasy. Humor was NOT intended, however, by those who made the movie. They take it very seriously.

Last edited on Thu Mar 13th, 2008 01:22 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 01:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

you all think that sometimes historians sometimes kill a move by over analysis by themselves. After all it is just entertainment. My wife hates seeing history type movies with me for that reason.

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 01:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

ahh globo i have the same problem. no body will see a movie thats even closely related to history with me. after the movie is over i end up tellin people what they got wrong in it.

Posted: Thu Mar 13th, 2008 01:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

you know what though I one of my favs is "outlaw Josey Wales" and that is so history inaccurate from the word go

Posted: Sat Mar 15th, 2008 07:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"After all it is just entertainment."

Amen, Brother.  Having spent years doing masters-level research in a biochem/molecular biology lab, watching things like CSI and other "science-based" shows and movies can be a real crack-up.  But, I keep my mouth shut, it's entertainment!!!  I HATE watching movies and shows meant for entertainment with people whom consider themselves experts in the field at hand.  I watched "House" a couple weeks ago with a guy (from the medical field) whom had a pile of medical books on the coffee table in order to critique the "disease-of-the-episode"; he kept interrupting the rapier-wit dialouge to correct the medical prodcedures.  I'll never watch House with him again unless he puts a gag on it!  At least save it for the commercials, Bro....after all, the medicine is totally secondary to plot....

Posted: Sat Mar 15th, 2008 12:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I hear you, Joannie Reb! What you say doesn't just relate to historical or scientific movies and TV shows either. My elder son is an expert on the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. When he saw the first movie of the series, he walked out half way through because he couldn't tolerate the manner in which the movie differed from the book.

We saw the second movie  in the trilogy and he kept telling me how wrong it was, though he stayed through the movie. Frankly, I didn't care if it differed from the original or not, but some fanatics of the books could barely tolerate what they considered to be an unjustifiable distortion of the original work. 

Indeed, most movies based on best sellers run the risk of alienating fans of the original work.

Posted: Mon Mar 17th, 2008 06:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Most movies based on books lack what the book can bring and that is your own interpetation of what you are reading. Books are always better IMO.

Posted: Tue Mar 18th, 2008 06:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

I never cared for 'The Lord of the Rings' or 'The Hobbit', but when I watched the first movie I was taken in by it - the scope, the scale, etc. I think it was because I didn't come to it with any baggage but just went along for the ride. This was five years ago now. I suppose I'll get around to watching the second film. One day.

Posted: Wed Mar 19th, 2008 02:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i like them myself. i have the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy. i didnt care much for the books but the movies were good

Posted: Wed Mar 19th, 2008 02:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

I was dating someone who thought that movies of historical events were all accurate and was horribly upset when I told her that much of what she saw in the movies was just not true...

Posted: Wed Mar 19th, 2008 02:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

you have to learn whats fact and whats fiction and if you dont know what it is look it up.

Current time is 06:37 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1805 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.