Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Need Help, Honey Hill Battlefield - Civil War Preservation - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Mar 31st, 2008 01:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
39th Miss. Walker

Mana: 

Almost the entire battlefield of Honey Hill and the miles of related earthworks are contained within one plantation.
Recently the Board of Directors of this plantation have decided to open the plantation to commercial and residential development. One of the ways they are doing this is to allow themselves to be annexed into the Town of Ridgeland, SC.
While the agreement specifies a large amount of the area to be held in conservation, none of the land is under any kind of easement. The town and BOD are aware of the earthworks, at least the major ones.
What they don't seem to be up to speed on is the entire battlefield area. This was defined in a National Register study a number of years ago.
What the fear is, that the Town or property owners will protect the main earthworks but ignore the boundaries of the battlefield itself.
To this I am asking everyone to please write to the Town of Ridgeland, Matthew Brady Director of Planning, One Town Square, PO Box 1119, Ridgeland SC 29936 asking him to respect the boundaries of the National Register District.
If we can't get this acknowledged we may end up with another McMansion overlooking the battery on the very site where so many gave their lives.
It is simple and easy, please support this cause and please spread the word.

Posted: Fri Apr 4th, 2008 02:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Scout

Mana: 

i'm guessing the "large amount of area to be held in conservation" would be the swamps or the land not profitable to develop, and as you stated probably wouldn't have much concern for the key points of the battlefield.

pursued a few searches to help explain the events on the battlefield:

This 1st site has very detailed information and some wonderful links if you have the time. many first hand accounts (a few urls don't function but most worked fine)
http://www.dcnyhistory.org/gary/hhbattle.html

This is a very detailed though somewhat hard to follow battle summary
http://www.bitsofblueandgray.com/Feb2002.htm

****and here is the ridiculous development video that i found on youtube****
i think the background music is from "dances with wolves"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H59bX_7cYTc&feature=related

this awful video alone has provided me with enough spark to fire off a letter

Last edited on Fri Apr 4th, 2008 02:58 pm by Scout

Posted: Tue May 13th, 2008 02:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
TownOfRidgeland

Mana: 

We appreciate everyone's concern with the preservation of Honey Hill Battlefield.  At the Town of Ridgeland, we have recognized the great historical and cultural significance of this battlefield and the entirety of the Good Hope Plantation.  I assure you that the Town and the plantation are working together in a preservation minded manner. 

We are meeting with the SC Battleground Trust tomorrow (Wednesday, May 14) and with the individual whom we have been told put together Good Hope's application to the National Register of Historic Places.  Hopefully, we can address any additional concerns held by preservationists such as yourself. 

Again, I must reiterate the great sense of conservation that Good Hope brings to the table in Ridgeland.  I can assure you that there will be no "McMansions."  Good Hope is a group that is very preservation minded, and they have been working with the Town in order to preserve all of the appropriate areas of this Plantation.

I would also like to mention that the Honey Hill subdivision shown in the YouTube video is not within the Town of Ridgeland’s limits.  It is in Jasper County.  No development has begun on Good Hope Plantation’s land, and as of right now, none is scheduled to begin.

If you have further concerns, I invite you to call me at (843) 726-7506 or email me at RidgelandPlanning@gmail.com.

Regards,

Matthew Brady

Current time is 06:15 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3184 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 26 queries executed.