Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

need music - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 01:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i have a mp3 player that im struggaling to fill up. i have 300 songs on it already and it can hold 685. could yall make some suggestions for me to check out? im more into the 60's 70's and 80's era of music but i like some new stuff too. rock, country, pop, disco, ballads i dont care what it is i like pretty much all of it.

Last edited on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 01:25 am by Dixie Girl

Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 02:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
booklover

Mana: 

Dixie,

I am a big fan of Creedence Clearwater Revival as well as its lead singer, John Fogerty. He has a new CD out called Revival which is very good (in fact, I'm listening to it now). Also, you might check out Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, Mamas and the Papas and the Band. All are really good.

Best
Rob

Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 02:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

thanks. i'll check them out

Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 02:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

Hi Dixe...would highly recommend some Pink Floyd...anything from "Dark Side of The Moon" and "The Wall' is great (especially Comfortably Numb)...Being the big Beatles  fan that I am, I suggest listening to "Rubber Soul", especially the song "In My Life".

Also try The Animals, Yardbirds and some early Grateful Dead...Great bands!!!

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 06:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Just last week I discovered a folk-country-ish singer called Josh Ritter (a friend took me to a gig - I had never heard of him before). A great mix of styles, with some fantastic songs. His 'To the Dogs or Whoever' on his 'Historical chronicles of..' album has now become my unofficial marching song.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 01:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
ole

Mana: 

Meatloaf and Queen, but mostly Creedence.

ole

Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 04:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Bama we agree too.  Joplin was the best .  Need a little early Jefferson Airplane too.  Surrealistic Pillow or Jefferson Airplane takes off.  Creedance is a must and Forgerty's solo albums.   Add a little Melanie especially Brand New Key.  Mix in Buffalo Springfield  and the Byrds .  Add a little Taj Mahal. 

Susan

Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 09:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Lawrence63
Teen Civil War Historian

Mana: 

The hottest band in the world: KISS!!! If you're going for a studio album from the '70s, I'd recommend "Destroyer". '80s, "Revenge". As for a live album, I'm partial to "Alive!". It has a lot of great classics from the bands heyday.

Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 10:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Bama I was lucky enough to see Janis twice in concert , once with
Big Brother and once with full Tilt Boogy Band.  I also got to see her playing free in the park the afternoon after the concert with Big Brother .  That was the best of the concerts.  She put her whole heart and soul into the songs.   On the early album Women are Losers and Down on Me were the best .  A great talent.  I also do love Me and Bobby Mcgee  Interesting that she turned a song about a guy in love with a woman into a woman in love with a man.  I like her verision better that Kristofferson's. 

Joan Baez was always a favorite.  For many years I never missed her concerts. Even went to one with a concussion .  That is a story in itself.  She always gave a full nights money worth of songs.  Her voice so clear and beautiful.  Her sister Mimi and Mimi's husband Richard Farina were also favorits of mine . Their three albums made before Richard was killed are high on my list of the time.  I have most of these songs on my ipod .  Funny I have the albums, the cds to replace the albums , tapes of some which are long gone , tapes don't last well, and now they are on my iPod.  When Joan Baez sings the Night they drove Old Dixie Down I am singing away with her in my car.  Good thing noone can hear me. 

Always start all road trips with Wille and On the Road again. 

Sooooo much good music.  It was the best of times it was the worst of times. 

Susan

Posted: Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 03:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
booklover

Mana: 

Ed,

I knew if we waited long enough, we would find common ground somewhere.:)

Best
Rob

You have chosen to ignore ks. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 03:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I love it .  My nephew who is now 23  loved two things the Lakers and Dwight Yokum when he was about four years old.  He loved the song Streets of Bakersfield .  But living in Boston he didn't know what Bakersfield was  so he thought the song said .  That's how the Lakers feel and would sing that at the top of his voice when he played Streets of Bakersfield. 

By the way I was told to stop sending him Laker's stuff as he got a little older considering he lived in Celtic country .  My sister in law said I was dressing him to be beat up.  He has switched sports and alliegance , Now a Red Sox fan.

Posted: Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 03:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
booklover

Mana: 

Ed and Susan,

There's a book I see from time to time called "Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy" which is full of mis-heard lyrics. While some of them are stretching (they had a book to fill up) some are downright funny. Of course, the title is taken from Jimi Hendrix's line from "Purple Haze" which actually goes "Scuse me while I kiss the sky." Funny!

Best
Rob

Posted: Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 04:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
David White

Mana: 

That is a funny book booklover. I bought it for my wife a few years ago who constantly garbles lyrics, many of her versions appear in that book. BTW, Hendrix sometimes in concert would sing the garbled lyrics for a laugh.

Posted: Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 12:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I had that book and thought it was hysterical.  Speaking of Purple Haze .  I took that album up to a room of some friend sto play for them as they had never heard of Jimi Hendrix when Iwas in college.  I played it then left but was standing at the head of the stairs chatting with another friend.  I can never talk with out using my hands.  I made a jesture with my left hand which was hold ing the album and yes I was holding it by the closed end .  As I swung my hand the record flew out rolled down the stairs and hit the wall.  I looked down and said to the friend "Purple Haze , All over the Place."  Of course I replaced it right away. 

Susan

Posted: Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 01:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

Being a Musician and playing bars, carnivals, amusement parks for over 25 years (now retired or just tired) I will tell you the best music for crowd response..If it were my mp3 I would have to have it loaded up with Eagles songs and Skynard songs as well as some great country tunes..One that was a great hit for me as I was sawing on the fiddle was "Devil went down to Georgia" and "Orange Blossom Special" they will bring a house down at the end of a night. Believe me I know I done it many times..I, like a lot of the posters here, of course, grew up in the 60's and I loved that music..Simple stuff, simple words and people still love to hear it if your playing the Legion...But for live entertainment you cant beat Eagles and Skynard..That music will bring the young out of the old folks and the old into the young folks..It always amazed me when we would play
songs like Hotel California and Sweet Home Alabama and you look out in the crowd and you have 20 year olds mouthing the words and jumping up and down like your singing something from their era...was strange...So I guess good music will last through the span of time...If it good, it's just good forever...
Huma

Current time is 02:25 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2081 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 31 queries executed.