Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Rebel Yell - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 08:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

A while back, I started a thread concerning the famous Confederate battle cry, more specifically what it really sounded like and how other reenactment groups performed it. Susansweet responded with an excellent link to an old recording of a Confederate veteran of the ANV, around 90 years old at the time, performing his version of the rebel yell.

I am not sure if anyone on this board has posted this link, but that same veterans rebel yell was submitted to a sound software company with the intent on producing what a full company of Confederates would have sounded like (based on that older recording of an individual giving the rebel yell).

How close is it really? Was the process effective? No one can be certain, but I thought it was of at least enough interest to post on this site for others to listen to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAL16JTq2hw

Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 09:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Surprisingly, my first impression was that of a pack of hounds.

Regardless of the accuracy of the veteran's recreation it's an interesting curio - and hearing the sound of a participant brings the war a lot closer than I tend to imagine it.

Posted: Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 12:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
cody6397
Yankee

Mana: 

well, that must be terrifying to imagine if your taking them on. Id flee. im not sad to admit it.

Posted: Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 12:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

im proud to say that id be on the side doin the yellin.

Posted: Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 03:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Gunner

Mana: 

We give thanks for what we are about to receive......

We have all read about it. But to have a small tast of it is something that will not ecsape me soon. as I am on the receiving side of that"TERROR" from the south!

Gunner.

You have chosen to ignore ks. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 04:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

It's funny, the esteemed gentleman from England pointed out that his first impression was a pack of hounds. I cannot remember the source, but I remember reading a description by an AoP veteran along those same lines. I can see how hounds would come to mind after hearing the recording.

I have also heard it described as, among other things, demonic. I can see how that description is fitting as well. I think that this, more than anything else, lends some credibility to the reproduction. It was always so difficult for me to connect these descriptions to the same source: demonic (or unearthly as ks points out), hounds, etc. After hearing that recording, I can see how people would describe the sound as all of these things.

Posted: Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 06:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Demonic. That's the term. It's the unnaturally high pitch that makes it terrifying.

Posted: Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 06:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Lincoln Fan

Mana: 

Thank you so much Kentucky_Orphan, for sharing that. I've wondered so often, over the years, what the rebel yell really sounded like. I have the tape of the reunion mentioned and so have heard one veteran's yell, but to hear a company of yells was just fascinating. Thanks again.

Posted: Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 08:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

There is a video that has old footage of one of the last reunions at Gettysburg.  The old men are shaking hands over the stone fence.  Right at the end one of the Rebs raises his hat and let's loose the Rebel Yell.  Then says "And that's the Rebel Yell."

It is priceless.

Susan

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2008 05:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Hamy3

Mana: 

It does sound like a pack of dogs, which is probably why my dog gets all funny when I play it. I also have it on my iPod, which drives my wife crazy, but for different reasons!!
That's what the real Rebel Yell sounds like, with the proper sneer aimed at that Billy Idol fellow!!

Ham

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2008 09:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
ShaniFaye

Mana: 

That is definitely what not was I was expecting....it was awesome to hear.....My husband was listening and said to him it sound like wild geese

Current time is 04:41 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4925 seconds (32% database + 68% PHP). 27 queries executed.