Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Glory - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Apr 4th, 2008 09:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
cody6397
Yankee

Mana: 

Glory is a movie about the 54th Mass. colored regiment and there colonel Robert Gould Shaw. Bobert Gould Shaw is played by Matthew Broadrick. This movie was great in my oppininon because of the final scene at Fort Wagner it was also very historically correct and showed that Gould Shaw wasnt just another Colonel. if you havent seen this movie yet then i recomend it especially if you lare intrested in Gould Shaw or the 54th

Posted: Fri Apr 4th, 2008 10:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

The movie has some glaring ommisions & errors but all told it is a superb movie with excellent portrayals by superb actors. As history by Hollywood goes it is far better than most... which isn't really saying much when we're talking about Hollyweird.

Posted: Fri Apr 4th, 2008 10:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
cody6397
Yankee

Mana: 

ommisions & errors ? wich ones ? or where ?

Posted: Sat Apr 5th, 2008 01:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Take alook at the actual history of the 54th and they start to stand out. My irritation at some of the omissions was neglecting any mention of Fredrick Douglas son in the ranks or of the CMH that was handed out for that battle.

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Apr 5th, 2008 06:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"still, Glory was a fantastic
movie,"

I disagree.  I will write my argument out in full later, but never have I been so disappointed in a movie as I was with "Glory".

This was truly wonderful subject matter, and the people who made it, made it a silly spectacle of untruths and simplicities that denigrated the 54th, and any character in the movie.  What a sad waste of a premium subject.

Last edited on Sat Apr 5th, 2008 06:23 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Sat Apr 5th, 2008 02:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
cody6397
Yankee

Mana: 

well when you mentioned it i did notice a few wrist watches but i thought it was a fine movie.to me it didnt really matter if there were a few "errors" because there were the other parts like when Gould Shaw went "hunting" for shoes and when he was shot and still charged , if im correct that really happened and i thought it was a pretty good way of showing it.

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Apr 10th, 2008 03:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

I will echo your sentiment JDC about the whole "visual" aspect.  I personally love the movie.  I know better, even when "Based on actual events" is printed there on the screen, I won't be soaking in every moment as being completely factual.  It's an interpretation for entertainment.  I think the music is brilliant from Glory.  Love, love love it.  For me, both Dances With Wolves and Glory came out when I was a kid and first really starting to see the Civil War as a hobby.  It was the movies that led me to all the books.

Posted: Thu Apr 10th, 2008 05:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
ole

Mana: 

I'm in line with JDC -- I'm looking at what (one might hope) is entertainment built around a convenient version of my favorite passtime. Quarrelling at the screen  over a displaced or distorted fact, watching for discontinuities, or crowing in delight at a non-period wrist watch or cigar distracts from the entertainment. Nothing, however, distracts more than a movie that puts me to sleep well before it gets rolling.

ole

Posted: Thu Apr 10th, 2008 10:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

What matters is the suspension of disbelief. As I think I've written elsewhere, I was so engrossed in 'The Raid' * I didn't have time to care that the smuggled Confederate uniforms were so clean and neatly pressed.

I've only watched 'Glory' once. I found its representations of the racist attitudes of the period to be one of its main strengths, no matter how disconcerting I found it to watch.

Whilst I like the use of Shaw's letters as way of moving on the plot and adding period colour, I found most of the other characters to be a bit too generic to get to involved with.

* escaped Confederate prisoners plot to seize a town in Vermont

Posted: Fri Apr 11th, 2008 01:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
ole

Mana: 

Glory struck me as an inspiring, if not overly treacly, film about the USCT in general. The 54th was the subject only in the dramatic opportunities it presented. It could as easily have been about the regiments that took Ft. Hudson, those defending Ft. Pillow, or those laboring in advance of Sherman's march through the Carolinas.

ole

Last edited on Fri Apr 11th, 2008 01:13 am by ole

Posted: Fri Apr 11th, 2008 03:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

I agree Ole.  There is so much material for books and movies concerning the USCT.  I also agree with it being "inspiring".  I felt inspired to read more about that subject and many other subjects pertaining to the war.  In my opinion, Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman gave stellar performances.  I also loved the foul mouthed Irish Sgt. Mulcahy's character.

Ole!  You have a picture up now!  You are no longer Ole, "the mythical being". :cool:

Fuller

Posted: Fri Apr 11th, 2008 04:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Yes, it does work as a 'hook' to raise awareness about the role of the USCT - a topic which does deserve more attention than normally given. I just felt dissatisfied with the film as a film. I probably should give it a second viewing to see if it improves.

Sgt Mulcahy...a fantastic and believable character. Up there with the one in 'Full Metal Jacket'

Posted: Thu Oct 1st, 2009 10:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
IrishBrigade

Mana: 

I thought Glory was an excellent film, like all movies you have to allow for a bit of creative story telling otherwise the only people that would go see the film would be the history buffs and no one is gonna make any money out of that.

It tells a good if little know story(to the layman) and has an excellent cast. I don't know how you could be dissapointed with it, the soundtrack alone is worth the price of admission. Anyone who isn't inspired by the "give 'em hell 54th/We ready Colonel" scene needs to loosen up. It ain't hirtory for professors, it's historical entertainment.

My two cent. Agreed Mulcahy was a great character.

Current time is 03:24 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3967 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 28 queries executed.