Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Did any soldier ever admit to shooting at Stonewall Jackson? - Thomas Stonewall Jackson - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Apr 22nd, 2008 04:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Back to the topic please....

Posted: Tue Apr 22nd, 2008 09:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Bama,

When did they put the Johnston's tree in storage?

I hadn't been to Shiloh since the late '90's, and was surprised, then, that it still existed outside! Albiet, it was held in place by wires and had a fence around it!

I've also heard that they've renamed "Bloody Pond" to something, shall we say, less "graphic" and more "politically correct". Actually, I don't remember what I was told it had been re-named, but they did change the name.

Posted: Tue Apr 22nd, 2008 09:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Bama,

I think the last time I was there may have been sometime in '98 or '99, so it's been removed since then.

When I lived in Jackson, TN (from '94 to 2000) my neighbor was some kind of Director for the Jackson-Madison County Parks District. She hired me to lead a tour group of Shiloh. Anyway, after moving to Illinois, I am still in contact with her. She e-mailed me and told me it'd brak my heart to know what was going on with some of my old "haunts", one of which was that they changed the name of Bloody Pond. Personally, I consider her a reliable source, so I figure the name change must be true. I may look up the Park website for Shiloh and see what (if) it says.

Posted: Tue Apr 22nd, 2008 09:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

OK, the Shiloh National Military Park website has a brochure, and Bloody Pond is still listed as just that. However, I am not convinced that this is not out-dated information. While not discounting their website, I can not believe my freind would make up such a story......I guess I need to take a sabatical and see for myself! Anyone want to contribute to my travel fund? After all, it is in the name, and for the sake, of research!! (Not to mention, Catfish Hotel is close by!!)

Posted: Tue Apr 22nd, 2008 09:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

According to the map on the Shiloh National Park site the Bloody Pond is listed as the Bloody Pond. No other name is listed on the map for that Pond. So rest easy guys. That hasn't changed.

I was there last June and am sure it was labeled Bloody Pond on the sign in front of it.
Susan

Posted: Tue Apr 22nd, 2008 09:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

OK, to satisfy my own curiousity and possibley age-related confusion, I e-mailed my freind asking her if and what it was re-named....

Posted: Tue Apr 22nd, 2008 09:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
ashbel

Mana: 

We visited Shiloh on Saturday.  There were two Boy Scout Troops, one Cub Scout troop, one large group from the University of Mississippi and at least 3 other large groups at the Park the same time we were.  I was thrilled (and I am not being facetious).

Here is my theory.  In order to learn about the Civil War it is very important to visit battlefields.  The more people who visit battlefields the more potential supporters we have for battlefield preservation. 

The attached picture was taken at "Bloody Pond."  (It was the same name as far as I could tell.)  Cub Scout Troop had just arrived.  I took this picture to illustrate my point.  This is a great cross section of people - 5 to 75.  When I was taking my picture one of the parents walked up to me and asked whether his group was ruining my picture.  My answer was that I was just glad to see so many people enjoying the battlefield.  (Maybe two or three or five of these boys will write about their first visit to a Battlefield just as we have done.)

I know there are many people who feel that the battlefields are Hallowed Ground and they need to be visited with reverance.  So do I.  But there is plenty of a battlefield to go around.  Having those Boy Scouts there did not take away from the feeling I felt when I stood at the edge of the Confederate burial trench or when I walked the 200 yard path to Fraley Field and contemplated what was going through the minds of the soldiers at the start of one of the bloodiest days in American History.

Attachment: shiloh cub scouts.jpg (Downloaded 71 times)

Posted: Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 01:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
ole

Mana: 

Last time I was there, it was still "Bloody Pond." Can't imagine anyone trying to rename it. Like trying to rename "Little Round Top." The "Smaller Knoll" just doesn't cut it.

ole

Posted: Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 04:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Okay Bama I am sooooo jealous.  I am so far away from Shiloh it would take me at leat three days to get there driving full out . 

Have a great trip.

Susan

Posted: Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 04:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
56th Post
David White

Mana: 

Ole:

Ah, but you have renamed it. No Civil War soldier called it LRT, it was known locally as: Rock Hill, High Knob, Sugar Loaf Hill, Broad Top Summit and the granite spur of Round Top. The Confederates called it "The little rocky hill."

Posted: Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 05:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
57th Post
ole

Mana: 

Got me there, Mr. White. In my defense, very few of the names we know were used at the time. In early April, 1862, how many knew the name of the Methodist Meeting House? And did the farmers south of Gettysburg ever bother to name those two hills? "Just run the cows up there son. There might be a day or two worth of grass."

Posted: Mon Jun 29th, 2009 08:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
59th Post
t4tillerman

Mana: 

booklover wrote: Something I've always wondered about, and just from a cursory glance through some sources it seems unlikely, but I've wondered if any soldier from the North Carolina regiment that shot at Stonewall Jackson ever admitted to doing so? If he had of, I imagine the reaction would have been harsh against him. I understand that the commander of the unit died shortly after the war and his family members said it was the guilt he felt for giving the order to fire.

Anyone have any idea?

Best
Rob

Posted: Fri Jul 10th, 2009 11:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
60th Post
5fish

Mana: 

booklover wrote: Something I've always wondered about, and just from a cursory glance through some sources it seems unlikely, but I've wondered if any soldier from the North Carolina regiment that shot at Stonewall Jackson ever admitted to doing so? If he had of, I imagine the reaction would have been harsh against him. I understand that the commander of the unit died shortly after the war and his family members said it was the guilt he felt for giving the order to fire.

Anyone have any idea?

Best
Rob

I took a look at this I could could not find a offical Regimental history of the 18th NC but I found the follow on the net. It seems Col. Purdie gave the orders to fire on General Jackson staff. Col. Purdie does not go down in histroy as the man that killed Gen. Jackson because he died the next day at Chancellorsville and the colors of the 18th NC regiment were lost to the 7th NJ Infantry. It seems that May 3rd was not any better for the 18th NC then was May 2nd. Below is a portion form one site I found on the 18th NC regiment....

As General Jackson reconnoitered his front, he drew fire from the enemy. This sent General Jackson and about thirty mounted staff officers galloping full speed towards the Eighteenth North Carolina.  Colonel Purdie ordered "Fix bayonets; load; prepare for action!"  When General Jackson and his entourage were within approximately 100 yards of the Eighteenth, Colonel Purdie gave the order "Commence firing."  They maintained a heavy rate of fire until unhorsing Major Holland (or Harris) of General Jackson's staff.  Then, realizing it was not Federal cavalry, but their own staff officers in their front, the firing stopped.  General Jackson sustained a mortal wounded, and several others died from the friendly fire of the Eighteenth.[42]

Current time is 09:05 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4776 seconds (17% database + 83% PHP). 35 queries executed.